Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System (DPS)...

I use a PLV-100, Reeve used the PLV-200, made by Resperonics. They are very quiet and that was the main reason my parents went with them (I was injured at age 3). The LTVs are nice for size, but you can't hear yourself think over them.

I'm pacing all day now, while I'm awake anyway, so a chair vent is not really needed anymore. However, I have heard many people complain about the noise of the LTV, especially after hearing mine. I have slept in a room with 2-3 LTVs going a few beds down and it is not a pleasant experience.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Good info, thanks Joel -- and CONGRATULATIONS on pacing all day! That's excellent news.

How do you rate your speech quality when pacing as compared to on the vent? And your trach is capped when you're on the DPS?

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Yes, my trach is capped while pacing and often under my shirt as in my avatar.

Speech quality is my main complaint with the system. Having to stop every four seconds to breathe in is annoying and can make speech difficult. I'm learning to time the breaks to sound natural, but it doesn't work in all situations.

yea i agree about the noise from the LTV....my boyfriend throws his motorcycle jacket over mine to cut the noise down while we're watching movies..lololol

Good to hear that the DPS is working out for you TRAINMAN.The oregon clinic here in portland will be doing mine sometime after august.and THX to you Bill for letting me know about the clinic here in portland that performs the operation.

Trainman,

You said you traded in your first DPS unit and got one that gives a stronger shock to your diaphragm... did that improve your speech as compared to the first unit? Are you going to try an even stronger unit?

Just curious.

I'm glad I could help a little NancyGail. I hope the DPS works well for you.

- Bill :-)

Bill, I sent my units in, one at a time, to change the settings to give me a bit more of a jolt. The result was a deeper breath and higher O2 sats, but that was about it. I can't say my speech quality changed, at least not in intensity or pause requirements.

These conversations are so interesting and helpful to me. It also makes me know the more I learn the less I know as everyone is the same and different all at once.
    We are so new at this and only know the limited things we learned at rehab and our dismal local resources.
    Scaper, thanks for explaining why people may use other settings with the different size connectors etc.
    You all amaze me with your knowledge of years of dealing with these things and I always believe that younger people catch on so quickly. I wish my husband was not so passive, though the Bovine made all the difference in the world for him.
    Trainman, I am thrilled you were able to ditch your chair vent!
    Bill, I envy your optimism even if things did not work out has hoped.
    Ah the LTV, the noise can get on one's nerves a bit. We had one that seemed to make a whining sound. They did not believe me until heard it for themselves....Grrrr.
    Dave has a chest X-Ray later. The stubborn lower left lobe is not looking good.
    Nancygail. one-of-a-kind and everyone else with respiratory issues hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Bill, I sent my units in, one at a time, to change the settings to give me a bit more of a jolt. The result was a deeper breath and higher O2 sats, but that was about it. I can't say my speech quality changed, at least not in intensity or pause requirements.
    Trainman,

Regarding "pause requirements" -- won't increasing the number of breaths per minute shorten the pause? How many BPM are you receiving?

I was planning to try 15 BPM on the DPS whereas I am "only" programmed to receive 13 BPM on the vent (though I initiate an additional breath when needed). I was thinking 15 BPM because my doctor said my "natural" volume on the DPS would probably be about 700 cc, whereas on the vent I'm getting 1000 cc (or 1.0 liter -- I'm almost certain you're familiar with the volume equivalencies; I'm elaborating for others who might not be).

Bill

Thank you LindaT. How did the chest x-ray turn out?

Prayers that it's nothing serious.

Bill