Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System (DPS)...

Ok, several people expressed the desire to "meet me" and, I actually just recorded a 6 minute video titled "Meet Bill Miller" for a school project (though I knew it could be useful elsewhere also) and posted it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVonbXUWcU

God bless all.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Great video. So nice to meet you!
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Hey Congrats Bill on your engagement and for still taking time to share here! So Dad has a tight to shaft (TTS) bivona but still has secretions (we wipe his nose and suction his mouth dozens of times a day - white foamy stuff). At night he snores and loses air out his mouth substantial enough to drop his oxygen saturation so we put up the cuff. We could add a bit of oxygen but I worry then he's not getting enough big breaths and will have issues. I can't compensate for the air leak on this vent as it is maxed out at 1400 so thought maybe to use oxygen or stronger pacer, but am not sure. Do any of you snore or desat at night? What have you done?

I do hope we can move to 24/7 cuffless (what type do you all have) and soon but once again look to all of you for help!

I snore on occasion, but not too badly. My trach is a cuffless Shiley, size 8 cut to the length of a size 4. Fortunately, I don't have any trouble keeping my sats up though, I'm told I kind of fight against the vent when I sleep and take in some of my own air with my throat muscles.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BillMiller823 View Post
    Ok, several people expressed the desire to "meet me" and, I actually just recorded a 6 minute video titled "Meet Bill Miller" for a school project (though I knew it could be useful elsewhere also) and posted it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVonbXUWcU

God bless all.
    Great video Bill !! Was amazed how well you could talk for the length of the video. You very easy to understand. You annuciate your words very well.

Thank you all for the video thoughts -- I'm glad you like it.

I'm told that I snore lightly fairly often. I don't think my snoring causes my O2 sats to decrease significantly. Does putting the cuff up solve his low O2 sats problem? How low are you talking about?

For a cuffless trach, I use a Shiley size 8 DCFS with disposable inner canulas (that we wash and reuse for a bit in a rotation). That said, I imagine Bivona makes a good cuffless trach also. But I'm not familiar with Bivona products.

God bless.

We monitor his sats at all times so we know what he does...at night he goes down to 88 or 87 and then we put the cuff up and he does fine. Now I also notice that he will trigger the vent with extra breaths at night. Grr. Wish I had a solution to keep it down. Maybe I need a vent that can do more than 1400?

If putting his cuff up solves the problem, then it sounds like he's simply losing too much air out his mouth/nose when he sleeps. And he's receiving 1400 cc breaths? Wow. I was once told my 1000 cc breaths were large. It sounds like your Dad has huge lung capacity. What does his pulmonologist and/or RT say about these issues?

God bless.

Excellent video Bill!

You're right Bill...he loses too much out his mouth/nose. These are the levels he was put on at the rehab/weaning facility (actually it is suppose to be 1750 with the cuff down and 1450 with it up but the vent is limited to 1400). And he has HUGE lungs! Still wish I had another solution to putting the cuff up....

Tracey

ps loved your video!