Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had 1 day in Anaheim...

If you had 1 day in Anaheim...

...what would you do and how would you get around?

I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks (so excited!) and will only have one full day in Anaheim and am looking for ideas of what to do. I've been a couple of times, but it's been 12 years since the last time. My cousin reeeally wants to go to Disneyland, but I don't know what it'd be like post injury. What are some other ideas?

Thanks!
    ~Ashley~

I'd go to Disneyland, myself. My bro was stationed there, I went in '79. (Yes, I'm an Old.) I really enjoyed driving to the beach to see the seals, and the Chinese food. I wish I'd had time for D-Land. At 18 I thought I was too cool for that LOL.

I grew up in KS, am easily amused, but I don't think you can go wrong w/ D-land. I know we go to the front of the line, I think it's really accessible too.

How good are your transfers, are you going alone, or bringing kids? If you are not bringing any kids and do not plan on riding any rides then I would go to Disneyland or California Adventure. If you are bringing little kids and your transfers suck then I would stick to California Adventure which is the newer park and is very accessable.

The policy in Disneyland is that you can use the exit but in order for any of your companions (up to 4) to get on the ride using the exit you must be able to get on the ride. If you can't get on then your party has to go and wait in line with everyone else. If you have little ones then you can't even wait with them in the line because you don't fit. Most of the rides that the little ones like are from the 50's and are very hard to transfer into and they will not stop some of them. Some of the newer rides like Space Mountain have a car they pull out and you can take your time transferring into.

California Adventure has waiting lines that are wide so you can at least hang out with your group as you are waiting.

It's going to be a family trip - me, my mom, my aunt, my cousin, my boyfriend, his mom and her boyfriend. I'll be the youngest, so we don't have to worry about the kiddie rides or age limits. It's a package deal trip. We go to Vegas for 3 nights, Anaheim for 2 nights then take a repositioning cruise back up to Vancouver. You get a little bit of everything that way. The only problem is there's only the one full day in Anaheim, so I'm trying to come up with something before we get there!
    ~Ashley~

My friend's son went to Disneyland with 3 friends. They helped him on many of the rides and all of them had a great time. Go for it!

Disneyland.

Even as an adult, it's pretty fun.

I would definitely say to go to Disneyland. It is one of my favorite places (I have an annual pass with no block out days) and is very, VERY accessible. Most rides are wheelchair accessible (either through the regular que or through the exit, and most rides will accommodate for extra load/unload time. Space mountain is a tricky transfer, but they do have a transfer board available (from the wheelchair seat, down the incline into the car). Some rides such as It's A Small World, The Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, etc. have specific cars that the wheelchair can load right into.
    If the group is older and doesn't want to do the traditional anaheim tourist Disneyland thing, you could always take a trip to the beach (about a 20 minute drive to Huntington Beach), go to the Santa Ana zoo, see an Angels game (if they are in town that night), etc. It is possible to get a train in Anaheim up to Los Angeles if you wanted to see the Hollywood walk of fame, there is a wonderful shopping center at Hollywood and Highland, the Hollywood sign tour, the star tour (takes you around to different houses where celebrities live/d, etc. Catching a train in Anaheim, traveling into Los Angeles and getting on the subway (same as going to Hollywood) will take you to Universal Studios which has a lot more stuff for adults who don't want the cartoon/kiddie feel of Disneyland, etc.
    Definitely feel free to ask questions or send me a PM. I am local (40 min from D-Land) and might be able to help you figure out how you want to spend your day or find the transit needed to get to where you want to go.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

There isn't much else to do in Anaheim? Maybe see a concert at the Grove or House of Blues? See an Angels game if they're in town...?

Cali folks, help me out here. Was it Laguna Beach w/ the seals? (Or maybe they all have seals, I dunno.) They were so cool to see, for a drylander. I'd ask my brother but he's no longer around, but I would like to know the name of the beach he took me to.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I can't wait to get away. I'm between going to school and finding a job right now, so I've been bored out of my mind. Been spending waaaaay too much time on facebook!
    ~Ashley~