Thread: The missing argument in the cure research battle

The missing argument in the cure research battle

Perhaps I have overlooked something, but why is there no mention of the Iraq/Afghanistan War veteran SCIs in the arguement for more sci cure research money from the government? It is because of the influx of World War II G.I.s with scis that we are alive and here today dealing with the quest for a cure. The gov and the country could not turn their backs on those guys and major efforts were quickly implemented to deal with the problem. Many of the treatments we are still using today were developed for them.

As a result of the IED/vehicular accidents in Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of war caused scis is substantial. Sadly, I have been unable to get a hard, up to date number even from the PVA. I did find that in 2006, 169 had already been treated at Walter Reed. Obviously, the actual number treated up until now and throughout the military system is substantially higher. Not only that, because of the improved med evac system, many of the SCI survivors are high level injuries.

This should be used as major point of discussion when seeking help from politicians to advance cure research. It will be difficult for them to disregard the latest additions to the SCI community. Certainly it will help to get their attention.

If I have overlooked something, please set me straight.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It has been discussed before.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

55 - yes, the recent influx of war vets from Afghanistan and Iran should definately be added to the "armoury" for campaigning. We are talking about very young guys and gals here who have put their lives on the line for our countries (however controversially) and the Govts are obliged to give something back for their services.

I went along to a paralympic talent spotting day here in the UK in Autumn and the majority of the participants were young war vets who had either had limbs amputated or had SCI.

Blog Entries
    I too have wondered about the numbers.... I did some research last year and couldn't find any info either. Does seem like high numbers of SCI's from the war would provide incentive for Military to fund research. I know that @ Shepherd, Bernie Marcus provided big money to help soldiers get better rehab than the government was willing to provide for the soldiers who received SCI.

The spinal armor has improved a lot, so less sci's are coming back than in past wars. The tbi's are bad in this war, and there are lots of them. Seems like a lot of amputees also, just from observation. I wish I could remember who I had this discussion with...it was somebody in DC that was in a position to know these things. I was trying for the sci stats for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    The spinal armor has improved a lot, so less sci's are coming back than in past wars. The tbi's are bad in this war, and there are lots of them. Seems like a lot of amputees also, just from observation. I wish I could remember who I had this discussion with...it was somebody in DC that was in a position to know these things. I was trying for the sci stats for the same reason.
    Certainly scis from gunshot wounds have been diminished, but here is what one report says:

"Roadside bombs have become the top killer of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only do the roadside bombs lead to crushed spines and other spinal injuries, they also result in traumatic brain injuries when soldiers are exposed to blasts, even with no impact to the head."

The numbers are small compared to WW II, but they are important numbers, especially when some of them are C-3s. They are also important because most of the congressmen and women currently serving sent them to their fate.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/