Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im deciding between the invacare tdx or quantum series

im deciding between the invacare tdx or quantum series

i have a rear wheel drive permobil street and i like it but its new chair time. im looking at 2 midwheels the invacare tdx and pride quantum series. im in a loaner tdx right now and soon will try the quantum. i was wondering your thoughts. i see on the website the quantum electronics seem better and looks better by design but heard the invacare is more durable just less goodies. can i get your opinion?

thanx god bless,
    josh
    Many Blessings,
    Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Hi Josh,
    I don't know anything about the Invacare model you mentioned, but I have a Quantum 6000 complete with tilt-in-space feature and I like it. I am a "hefty" woman and it has held up well.

Josh - David has the Invacare TDX storm 3. I hate that chair. It it actually in our basement only to be used as a back up chair now and it's only 3 years old. It was his first power chair and I didn't know anything but must admit I have learned alot due to that chair. His is equipped with tilt and the tilt actuator has gone out numerous times, so many times that I have 5 extra actuators here on hand that I bought off ebay just in case. Once he was home by himself and the chair just decided to tilt all the way back, he was stuck with the blood rushing to his head for about 1/2 hour before I could get home. We have to replace both batteries every year. The little plastic pieces that hold the leg rests on break very easily, I have a supply of those as well. That was caused by David bumping them going thru a doorway or what not. The arm rest broke. The center nut holding the wheel on came off twice, it stays in the hubcap but the wheel starts to wobble. In three years we had to replace all the wheels. The right drive motor went out, causing him to do circles. I could go on and on, maybe we just got a lemon or maybe this is usual for power chairs but we finally just bought all on our own the X5 (which insurance won't pay for) as it is more an outdoor type chair but yet can be used indoors as well. The TDX he couldn't go out in the yard with a morning dew on the grass or he would get stuck. I don't know about the Quantum but that's my opinion of the TDX.

I also have the TDX3 and have replaced the actuator seven times in the 4+ years I've had the chair. I'm trying out the quantum next week.

HMM...they told me it had to be something we were doing to cause the actuator to go out. The first time it went out and David got stuck tilted back on his head practically the wire melted, I spliced it back together but let me tell you, there is about 12 little bitty wires in there like a phone line kinda and it was pure hell trying to splice those little bitty things together, cause naturally it happened on a Friday night so had to wait till monday to get any help.

ya seems like a majority of things that go wrong happens on friday at 501 p.m. as places are closing.... lol.
    Many Blessings,
    Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Josh,

I began trying chairs out in November. I have had a Permobil for a little over 12 years now.

I tried out the Invacare FDX (Invacare's latest chair) DEMO in November. I tried out the Quantum 600 DEMO in December. And just this weekend I am going to try out Quantum's latest chair on the market (Quantum Edge).

What I have seen, compared to my Permobil is that everything seems to be made so much cheaper! Very Mickey Mouse compared to my Permobil Chairman. A 200 pound man could stand evenly on my Permobil armrests while I could throw any of the armrests on the other chairs above a good way across the room despite my weak quad arm!

I have been looking at comments on the USA Techguide for power wheelchair users and there are simply pros and cons to every single chair. Although I have seen more negative commentaries about Quantum chairs (Pride Mobility) than I have for either the newer Permobil models or people who have been so used to Invacare chairs.

The ONLY thing that I do not like about Permobils is their seat to floor height. For the last 12 years I have been unable to glide under most tables or see out my passenger van windows, etc. Those two things alone really cut into my quality of life so I was hoping on choosing another chair but now I am still pretty much up in the air.

Have you decided upon a chair yet and did you get one?

I just got a FDX front wheel drive maxed out I CAN'T STAND IT stay away from it. I would rather have a little red wagon. Storm series rear wheel drive

I have a quantum q6000z and ya it comes with some cool electronics the problem is getting a tech that knows how to set it up, I have never been able to use the bluetooth mouse or setup the IR remote. I also had to keep moving this box on the back so it would let me drive, it kept acting like it was tilted and wouldn't go in gear. I finally took it in and it turned out the control box was just thrown in the box and not screwed down or anything, the solution was to take the control box out and velcro it to the base, this works great except now it will drive in any tilt and I know it will lead to a wreck someday.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    I have a quantum q6000z and ya it comes with some cool electronics the problem is getting a tech that knows how to set it up, I have never been able to use the bluetooth mouse or setup the IR remote. I also had to keep moving this box on the back so it would let me drive, it kept acting like it was tilted and wouldn't go in gear. I finally took it in and it turned out the control box was just thrown in the box and not screwed down or anything, the solution was to take the control box out and velcro it to the base, this works great except now it will drive in any tilt and I know it will lead to a wreck someday.
    It sounds like that should be safe as long as you remember to return to mostly upright before moving the chair. I have the Quantum 6000 too and it allows just a little tilting while still moving, but if you tilt back a speck too far it will not budge till you reduce the tilt angle.