Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailwind Power Assist Wheelchairs AVAILABLE in 2015 (see update at end.)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Tailwind Power Assist Wheelchairs AVAILABLE in 2015 (see update at end.)

I just received an email response to my inquiry about test riding the Tailwind and was told,"I am also sorry to let you know that we will no longer be selling Tailwinds at this point in time. We hope to start it up in the future but for now we are no longer able to do that."

I'm not sure exactly why that is but have seen a few posts regarding Next Mobility possibly being sold.

All I know is that the Tailwind looks like a great option......I had also inquired about the Iglide a few years back and was told the same. My timing is off!!!!

Any other power assist options? I've checked out the Magic Wheels and Emotion.

Peace
    Last edited by Jim; 01-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Quickie Xtender. But it will only work on Quickie wheelchairs.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Quickie Xtender. But it will only work on Quickie wheelchairs.
    not quite. the quickie xtender is actually the yamaha jw2, rebadged by quickie for sale in north america. in europe (also elsewhere in world) you can buy it as yamaha, the otto bock esupport, or a few other badges, and it works on most chairs. the fitting mechanism is quite simple - someone who only wanted the wheels could buy them online from another country and fit them to their own chair.

I had emotions on my 1st chair and they were total CRAP.
    granted that was back in 2005 and I've heard the newer version is better.
    perhaps someday i'll find out as that chair has been getting denied by medi-medi since 2006 on getting repairs.
    friends of mine that have emotions agree that when they work they are great but when not they suck as they add 45 lbs to your chair as the batteries are in the wheel hubs.

Roni, I have been watching the developments regarding the Tailwind. The company was sold, but there is a legal dispute between J&J, who licensed the technology to the original Tailwind owner. The info I heard is that J&J says the license was not transferable, and want paid again by the new company. In sum, the world's best power assist chair is in legal limbo. I tried one and it is an improvement over the iGlide, which I have. My iGlide is 7 years old and past it life expectancy, ready to die any moment. There is a great power assist attachable developed by a CC member, but he has not been able to get it into production.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hi.
    I realize I am a year late on this topic, but wanted to give my 2cents.
    I have been in an IGlide since my accident in 2003. It has been my one and only chair. While it is a very heavy chair and prohibits most of the users from breaking it down it has been an awesome chair. It has allowed me full access of my yard. Without it I would not have been able to hike up a steep hill over 6 miles to view a beautiful waterfall. J&J was an awesome company to deal with. I was able to purchase new batteries from J&J (until 3/31/11) for $250 while Next Mobility was charging $750 for the exact same battery!! I wish J&J would reconsider their decision to sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by yojama95 View Post
    Hi.
    I realize I am a year late on this topic, but wanted to give my 2cents.
    I have been in an IGlide since my accident in 2003. It has been my one and only chair. While it is a very heavy chair and prohibits most of the users from breaking it down it has been an awesome chair. It has allowed me full access of my yard. Without it I would not have been able to hike up a steep hill over 6 miles to view a beautiful waterfall. J&J was an awesome company to deal with. I was able to purchase new batteries from J&J (until 3/31/11) for $250 while Next Mobility was charging $750 for the exact same battery!! I wish J&J would reconsider their decision to sell out.

The problem is that J&J was losing money because of the limited number of units. Slow sales were to some extent a result of poor marketing, but mostly because insurances, Medicare, and Medicaid were reluctant to cover them. The same problems quickly bankrupted Nextmobility.

Or you can do what I do am doing. I bought a used iGlide and took the electronics off. Then I ordered a new Aero Z 2. I am going to adapt the iGlide electronics onto my Aero Z 2. That old iGlide was a tank. I am calling it my TiGlide. Photos soon.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    Or you can do what I do am doing. I bought a used iGlide and took the electronics off. Then I ordered a new Aero Z 2. I am going to adapt the iGlide electronics onto my Aero Z 2. That old iGlide was a tank. I am calling it my TiGlide. Photos soon.
    Hope your luck is better than mine. When my iGlide died last spring, I rehabed it with new electronics and wheels that I got for a pittance as Independence Technology emptied out their warehouse. The electronics lasted less than a year.

I have a Tailwind with 2-batteries that are basically new but they have lost there charge.Next mobility wont do anything for me. I have the Tailwind jump cable for them..but I need another battery with a charge to hook it up to so I can get enough juice to them so I can charge them. Any ideas??