Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fl alum soft rolls and zr2 revisit

fl alum soft rolls and zr2 revisit

ok. i dont want to screw around buying new unitines. what do i need the machine shop to do to a set of 4x1.5 soft rolls so i can mount on zr2 single sided fork?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

You sure it wouldn't be cheaper to buy a set of Unitines ($84.50 @ Sportaid) than to mess around at machine shop? I'd go for the Unitines and the guaranteed result.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    ok. i dont want to screw around buying new unitines. what do i need the machine shop to do to a set of 4x1.5 soft rolls so i can mount on zr2 single sided fork?
    Just take your casters axles to a turner and the part of the axle that fit into the caster reduce to 8mm, 2 minutes, that`s all.

gotta agree w/ stephen here.

swapping forks will be more painless than screwing around w/ a machine shop, though i guess it depends on the shop.

there are enough ti users that you can probably sell the slipstreams + ti wheels pretty easily.

Same here, agree with Stephen, get the Unitines, they bolt right on.

Wouldnt they have to CAD the fix to CNC it and that costs quite a bit per hour?! Unless you've got a friend in the business, ordering and installing new Unitines is going to be cheaper and probably easier, too. Iirc, you'd have to expand the ID to fit the slightly larger bearing and get new internal spacers. It can't be that easy, though, nothing ever is! I wonder of it would even work, or if there was enough material left to be strong enough. A perfect solution already exists, for less than $100!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I guess you could do it on a lathe freehand. How much material would come off, how much would be left?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I guess you could do it on a lathe freehand. How much material would come off, how much would be left?
    I`m not sure, but i think that Tilite caster bolt is a 6mm diameter, so if you reduce the original caster axle to 8mm the axles is going to have exactly the same material than unitine casters axles, because they use a 6mm bolt too, anyway the bolt axle thread is just in the end of the axle, not going through all the axles.

I don`t know what could cost that, but here will do it even free if you go in the wheelchair because is just two minutes.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    John-do you not like the Ti soft rolls?
    Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I`m not sure, but i think that Tilite caster bolt is a 6mm diameter, so if you reduce the original caster axle to 8mm the axles is going to have exactly the same material than unitine casters axles, because they use a 6mm bolt too, anyway the bolt axle thread is just in the end of the axle, not going through all the axles.

I don`t know what could cost that, but here will do it even free if you go in the wheelchair because is just two minutes.
    nothing is free in the U.S.
    Last edited by jschism; 06-03-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add

i can get it done free. is it really just that simple, turning the axle down to 6mm? i still dont get why ti doesnt offer this.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer