Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Handcycle Training Tips

Need Handcycle Training Tips

I'm not new to the chair, but am now getting into handcycling. My goal is to do the Disney Marathon in January, and I need some tips on working up to the 26 miles. My Tourer from Intrepid Equipment is being delivered this week and I'll actually be doing a 5K race on May 1 (Saturday).

My wife is a runner, and has her "training regiment" that she does as far as increasing mileage. What I'm trying to find out is if there is a "schedule" for handcyclists that breaks down the amount of miles I should be doing as I begin training? Any other exercise tips to build strength and endurance besides "riding"? The heat is officially turned on in South Florida, so outside riding times will be limited, but I do plan on using an indoor trainer.

Any Do's & Don'ts that any of you can suggest I would appreciate.
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

Go to Carlos Moledas website. He has a great 12 week program. Also get a heartrate monitor to ensure you are training efficiently.

i would get out and ride. indoor trainer isnt nearly as effective as on road training. go at night or early morning,.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Go to Carlos Moledas website. He has a great 12 week program. Also get a heartrate monitor to ensure you are training efficiently.

I tried looking for his site and couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    I tried looking for his site and couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?
    Carlos Moleda's 12 Weeks Marathon Training Program
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I just finished 180 mile bike ride from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach which was 3 days but we hit around 60 miles a day. I didn't have a lot of places to ride when I was training so what I did was hit the gym 5 days a week working on my endurance and lifting weights...I hit the stationary hand cycle they had at the gym for about 30 minutes a day. I would warm up on level 3.5 for 3 minutes and then crank it up to level 4.5 and crank as hard as I could for 45 seconds. Heartbeat would hit around 185.. then take it back down to level 3.5 and crank slowly for 3 minutes and repeat that 6 times...then I would do one handed intervals for a minute at a time.

Any more questions feel free to ask!
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Thanks for the responses, I'll dig a little deeper on what you suggested.
    C5 Incomplete - 25 years of experience!

Congrats Seenkid, way to go. You did the work and it paid off.

I agree with the Carlos Moleda training program - involve interval and tempo training, along with long rides. That'll mix it up both you mentally and for your muscles. You should also look into the course and find out if there are any hills. Even if it doesn't, it wouldn't be a bad idea to incorporate some hill work into your training.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete