Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand controls

Hand controls

So I am finaly going to stop messing around and get hand controls installed on my Tacoma pickup truck. I dearly love it and do not want to trade it in for a car. I'm going to make it work for the mean while before I give in to the car idea. I know there is no right or wrong way to go, but just wondering people opinions are and if there are better ones than others. Also if anyone drives a tacoma what brand are you running. I know there is a guy on here that has the same truck I do, but he has not gotten back to me. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Well this is what I'm leaning towards as of now. The Wells-Engberg CT Rotary Cable Control. http://www.wells-engberg.com/products.html. Does anyone have experience with this.

If ya got e-bay, go on there, know you'll have to bid about $220.00 to get a used set, but gawd they're like steel, man you can't destroy them. The Mark 1000, are the shnizzle!

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    Well this is what I'm leaning towards as of now. The Wells-Engberg CT Rotary Cable Control. http://www.wells-engberg.com/products.html. Does anyone have experience with this.
    i have a right handed one. probably the most natural hand control for bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    I've used only that control for nine years and love it. No negatives that I know of. No maintenance. The black L-shaped bar you see coming off the twist near the steering wheel is for your thumb. You actually push down with your thumb for the gas more than twisting with your wrist. Braking is very easy.

These are a couple pics of the contols installed on an older BMW I had. I've even taken my cars to the track and done road course driving with them. Highly recommended!
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rock517 View Post
    I've used only that control for nine years and love it. No negatives that I know of. No maintenance. The black L-shaped bar you see coming off the twist near the steering wheel is for your thumb. You actually push down with your thumb for the gas more than twisting with your wrist. Braking is very easy.

These are a couple pics of the contols installed on an older BMW I had. I've even taken my cars to the track and done road course driving with them. Highly recommended!
    Rock517,
    You said that those pics are from a previous car. What do you have them installed in now? Also I recognize the towel placement. That's a trick I also use in my Acura.
    I have a set of Wells Engbergs I bought second hand. They were originally in a van and have the mounting that makes it easy for installation in the van. I need to have a that removed and have some kind bracket fabricated to accommodate my car. If you have a any more photos of your mounting, could you post them or shoot them to me so I can share with the guy doing my install?
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbmore View Post
    Rock517,
    You said that those pics are from a previous car. What do you have them installed in now? Also I recognize the towel placement. That's a trick I also use in my Acura.
    Rock and Mike, I assume the towel is so you don't scratch up the car when loading ya chair?

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Rock and Mike, I assume the towel is so you don't scratch up the car when loading ya chair?
    Exactly! Once I pop my wheels off, I set the chair on the door sill and use the towel for protection. I keep meaning to look for a better looking solution, but for now the towel works fine. I also use a towel draped over the passenger seat back, a towel in my lap and a faux leather tarp laid over the back seat. The tarp matches the seating so most people don't even notice it there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbmore View Post
    Exactly! Once I pop my wheels off, I set the chair on the door sill and use the towel for protection. I keep meaning to look for a better looking solution, but for now the towel works fine. I also use a towel draped over the passenger seat back, a towel in my lap and a faux leather tarp laid over the back seat. The tarp matches the seating so most people don't even notice it there.
    Good deal, I'm doing that also with my new car. My last car I had so many dings inside and out, I had negative equity on my car and it was an 08, I still don't know how they gave me a new car. I'm going to try and take of this car a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Good deal, I'm doing that also with my new car. My last car I had so many dings inside and out, I had negative equity on my car and it was an 08, I still don't know how they gave me a new car. I'm going to try and take of this car a little better.

Yeah, I've learned from tearing up some interiors in the past.