Thread: Virus Problem

Virus Problem

I have been having a problem with a virus that my Norton software says has been deleted and then it recurs again. It is located in the document and settings area in a tmp file. When I chatted with the Norton analyst about eliminating the problem, their response was that I needed to use their fee based service($100) to permanently delete the virus. I have a problem with paying $90 for software and then being told that I have to pay another $100 to delete a virus that their software should have dealt with in the first place. Can anyone suggest a way that I can get my computer scanned, the problem spotted and then resolved? Alternatively I will have to reformat my hard drive and reload programs, hoping that those programs are virus free.
    mike

Run a scan of the infected folder with malwarebtes, see if it will delete the file after detecting it.

Then run a complete scan. It's a good program, and free. If you use it, make sure you update it via the update tab to get the latest definitions.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

you can also manually run Microsofts malicious software removal tool here is a link to tell you how
    http://www.pchell.com/virus/maliciou...ovaltool.shtml

If you do not have windows defender download and run it too...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

mrt.exe

Microsoft has a built malware tool in it's operating system. Start your computer in safe mode. Then "start" "run" type in mrt.exe, hit enter. It will run for a while scanning all of your drives. If you need additional free help call (866) PC-SAFETY.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 04-24-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Ifyou still need help removing it, let me know. I am posting here to say " I TOLD YOU SO" in a nonj smart ass way.

THIS is one of the zillion reasons why NORTON and McAfee are WORTHLESS. Not only do they ROUTINELY FAIL at their post but they CHARGE you GOOD MONEY for it. THEN when it fails to do it's job, they want MORE MONEY.
    How many times does it take for the users of Care Cure to get the picture? Use the free AVAST solution. Set all modules to HIGH. I have said it a thousand times, do not use Norton, McAfee nor AVG. Neither of them are worth a shit.

IF you set up AVAST correctly, you will not get infected.
    If you desire to do this and need help, holler.

IF someone were to make it a sticky, I would make an instructional for setting it up properly.

Download a LIVE version of Ubuntu Linux and start using it.
    It is an operating system COMPLETE with software. More software is available free with it. Virii do not exist outside Microsoft windows operating systems. Use Linux and never have to worry again, and never have to pay money for software again. Your computer will operate trooublefree from now on.

HOUSECALL free scan... http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ I carry it on a Flash drive on my keys.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Microsoft has a built malware tool in it's operating system. Start your computer in safe mode. Then "start" "run" type in mrt.exe, hit enter. It will run for a while scanning all of your drives. If you need additional free help call (866) PC-SAFETY.

Ti

I owe you a thanks for this trick Ti. You mentioned it on another thread , I did it and came up with and removed a trojan on my XP-sp3.

many thanks,
    Ches

Thank you so much for your link to this program. The program deleted numerous infected files and registry keys that my Norton program did not find. After deleting these records my PC worked fine. You saved me much time and possibly money. I will never touch another Norton Product.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    Ifyou still need help removing it, let me know. I am posting here to say " I TOLD YOU SO" in a nonj smart ass way.

THIS is one of the zillion reasons why NORTON and McAfee are WORTHLESS. Not only do they ROUTINELY FAIL at their post but they CHARGE you GOOD MONEY for it. THEN when it fails to do it's job, they want MORE MONEY.
    How many times does it take for the users of Care Cure to get the picture? Use the free AVAST solution. Set all modules to HIGH. I have said it a thousand times, do not use Norton, McAfee nor AVG. Neither of them are worth a shit.

IF you set up AVAST correctly, you will not get infected.
    If you desire to do this and need help, holler.

IF someone were to make it a sticky, I would make an instructional for setting it up properly.

Download a LIVE version of Ubuntu Linux and start using it.
    It is an operating system COMPLETE with software. More software is available free with it. Virii do not exist outside Microsoft windows operating systems. Use Linux and never have to worry again, and never have to pay money for software again. Your computer will operate trooublefree from now on.

HOUSECALL free scan... http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ I carry it on a Flash drive on my keys.
    You will note above that I found the offending virus using the suggested software. I am now a believer and will never touch another Norton Product and will install Avast
    mike

Paid for anti virus software is never worth it, although I've found that the majority of people do it.

I've been using AVG for free for about 7 years now and also have put it on every computer i've built for friends and family in that time and thus far no one has come up with a virus. Just set it up to update on it's own and scan at a certain time and your good to go for zero cost. They will of course offer you an upgrade package for $, but there is no need of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Thank you so much for your link to this program. The program deleted numerous infected files and registry keys that my Norton program did not find. After deleting these records my PC worked fine. You saved me much time and possibly money. I will never touch another Norton Product.
    This is very good that your problem has been solved. I must say that Norton Antivirus slows my PC down while in fullscan. It doesn't Full scans quick and It also slows down my boot up.
    Mistakes are the portals of discovery.