Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best handcycle?

Whats the best handcycle?

I've seen the Elite from Lasher Sport but are there any other ones?

Has anyone tried a Freedom Ryder?
    Never Give Up!

Depends what level you are Chef. Different bikes for different levels and capabilities of the rider. Do you want to ride recreationally or get down and be a racer primarily.

I've owned Top Ends and Freedom Ryders. I presently own the FRH-1 and also a 2004 Top End Gold. Both are excellent but I prefer the FRH-1 just for ease of maintenance and it seems more efficient.

Lasher is way too expensive for the bike. I'd go Schmickling before Lasher.

If you give us some better info on your level of injury etc. that would help a lot in recomending a bood bike. It the bikes not right for you, you won't ride it.

Hi Patrick,
    I'm a t12-L1 Incomplete and I've started walking with a walker. I tried a handcycle a few months ago and it was exhilarating! I have almost full trunk control and I want to start recreationally. I just took a look at the Schmicking website and the handcycle and it looks great! Do you know how much it cost? I've researched into the Freedom Ryder and it looks the most interesting. I love the idea of leaning into a turn. I used to mountain bike a lot before my injury and I miss carving into a corner. Thanks for your advice.
    Never Give Up!

If I were T12 incomplete, I'd go with the lean steer Freedom ryder. They are great and really will maximize your strengths in the lower abs and lats. I had a lean steer a few years ago and loved the feeling of leaning into the turn but my abs and lats just weren't up to par.

Schmiclings are fairly expensive more then 6 grand. Lean steer all the way Chef!

I think Patrick has a good point about the lean steer. But, playing the devils advocate - on long and steep descents, lean steer becomes dangerous over 35 mph. Front steer H/Cs can handle higher speeds on descents.

For we higher breaks I agree Arn. But the guy is T12/L1 Incomplete. I don't even want to imagine being on my bike at 35 mph lol. Your right, it's something to consider when choosing a bike.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-24-2010 at 09:11 PM.

While the Lasher IS expensive, it is also the lightest and strongest I've seen, and has great components. The Top End Force has more frame flex and cheaper components, but it is a very fast cycle- I've had one up to 48 mph on a long steep hill, and it was stable. I'm a t-6 complete, so getting in and out of the Force is tricky. I have a Top End XLT Pro for recreational riding- easier to get in and out of. The components are cheap- I upgraded the cassette, shifter, brakes and chain, and it rides great for recreation, and it's not as expensive as any other handcycle.

Wow, that lasher does look nice, but the price is very big $$$ @$8495.00.

http://www.lashersport.com/products-handcycle.html
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    VERY nice! That includes wheelset that is qptional on others. They included everything on this one. NOW we are talking about value. If I paid a few thousand, THIS is what I expect... a complete racing machine, no upgrades req'd. NOT what you get with TE bikes.

Lasher is what Ti and TE WANT to be.

Lasher isn't something I can afford but if we are shelling out over 2 or 3 grand for a glorified bicycle...errr... tricycle, why pay BMW prices and drive a Cadillac. Get the finished product, those 'racers' always have a good wheel set anyway, these are built for the bike, not mass produced.

The xltpro is worthless on steep turns, the chain rubs the frame and changes the gears... NOT a desirable thing. Mine had good quality drive train except for the wheels being on the cheap side,
    I built a front wheel early on.Most I ever had was about 43-45 on downhills...twas a 'citin thaang, lol. I'd get a quickie instead of the xlt line.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 04-25-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    VERY nice! That includes wheelset that is qptional on others. They included everything on this one. NOW we are talking about value. If I paid a few thousand, THIS is what I expect... a complete racing machine, no upgrades req'd. NOT what you get with TE bikes.

Lasher is what Ti and TE WANT to be.

Lasher isn't something I can afford but if we are shelling out over 2 or 3 grand for a glorified bicycle...errr... tricycle, why pay BMW prices and drive a Cadillac. Get the finished product, those 'racers' always have a good wheel set anyway, these are built for the bike, not mass produced.
    Ya but the spinergies really are not all that great a wheel, not as good as a Zipp or anything. I've got a couple of spinergies on the back of my FRH that I got in practically new condition for $350.00 pair like the ones shown in the Lasher picture. The front wheel on my handcycle is a Zipp 404, its much better than the Spinergy, a lot more $$$ too.

That magnesium frame on the Lasher does kinda intrique me though.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred