Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel prep before surgery

Bowel prep before surgery

Well my surgery is officially set for Tuesday next week, April 27, and I have to do bowel prep on Sunday. The doctor advised me to drink magnesium citrate to clear out my bowels. I'm a little freaked out by this because of the mess that it makes and I have to get up Monday to go get my pump filled. Typical bowel care for me doesn't involve a suppositories or anything, everything is just right there ready to be dug out and it's been that way for a long time, but the surgeon wants to make sure I am completely cleaned out before I go into surgery. The last surgeon I had didn't do that and I ended up having a huge bowel movement after surgery getting everything covered in diarrhea causing me a little infection that quickly went away. He refused to do this repair unless I had a colostomy but since bowel care is so easy for me, I really don't think I need one, not to mention he was a real prick some of the time. Is there a better way for me to do bowel prep? I'm going to end up spending the whole day in bed Sunday crapping. I'm really not looking forward to it, and I'm sure my caregiver won't be very happy about it either, but I guess I just have to do it, it's a lot better than having an accident onto fresh stitches. Anybody got a better idea if that and they I guess day day. LOL. Okay. Well I'll see you tomorrow.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

You might be able to check into the hospital early and let them handle it. I think insurance will sometimes pay for that.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

i cant believe you arent getting a bag. not just for your surgery but for your life. you could possibly manage the bag yourself w/out burdening others. shitting yourself caused this last sore, correct?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Gotta go with Fuentes of this one, Ry. After all the flaps you've had done and all of the problems caused by bowels run amuck, it seems insane not to get the colostomy.

Glad to see mishahu replied already. I was just going to suggest Ry look at the colonics thread.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Maybe you can start it a little early and get it over with and stay on clear liquids..CWO

Well I can't do anything as far as getting a bag and I definitely don't want to keep one. The sores I get are not from bowel movement but from cushions the or not inflated properly or something. This sore came from of cushion that was rubbing on my wheels and went flat to now I've got a cushion that fits better and I got side guards on my chair so the cushion stays out of my wheels. Only once was there a problem were had diarrhea and I sat on it causing a burn on my skin, but that's not what did it this time, and those times I've just been able to stay in bed to get rid of the red mark. Things will get better. At least they better.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Ryan I'm a quad & that stuff did not work for me.
    I drank like 90% of all of it.
    But instead of it making me push everything out, that liquid went around my stool & came out as brown liquid ALL night long. The next day when I had the colonoscopy the stool was still there.
    I pray that doesn't happen to you.
    I'd go on & manually pull out all you can before & after drinking it.
    Also the liquid kept coming out the next day everywhere.
    Be sure & sit up some (if you can) after taking it.
    That will help get it all out.

God bless you. You're in my prayers.

Blog Entries
    Hey man, I'm going way out there, here... I've noticed that when I drink a bunch of liquor straight, later that night my bowels empty completely, top to bottom. Not runny, solid as it exists at the time. I found out after I got out of rehab. Gotta be careful when I'm out, lol.
    If I would have thought, I'd have did it for my colonoscopy a few months ago. I can't get on a commode to do my bp. So I can relate to the mess in the bed all day. Anywhoo, thought I'd toss that out there. It's more fun than the other ways, lol. Just drink plenty of water so ya don't get a hangover.

nSometime when all this is behind you, try different, non-inflatable cushions. I use a stimulite contour, no flat worries now. I still use the roho's in my pcs though, they are wider chairs is why.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Maybe you can start it a little early and get it over with and stay on clear liquids..CWO
    This is great advise! I'd do it a day or two early.
    Get everything out with the magnesium citrate & digging every day.
    Then I'd go all liquids till surgery.
    Only sure fire way to be clean. kwim?
    It's worth it!