Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need New Chair, Paying Out of Pocket - Advice, Please

Need New Chair, Paying Out of Pocket - Advice, Please

I desperately need a new chair. My current chair is a seven year old iGlide with a dead computer that the salty, humid air down here is eating alive. It will be fine for emergencies but as an every day chair, it's got to go. And soon.

Functionally, I really need to get my first power chair, but can't do that until I'm back on the mainland where I can replace my three-door Saturn with a lift-equipped van. Until that time, I'm going to get a new manual chair that can become my backup when I'm finally able to get the PC.

Since Medicare will typically only cover a new chair about every five years (please tell me if I'm mistaken), and I really need a new chair yesterday, my plan is to pay out-of-pocket for the new manual chair and get Medicare to buy the PC once we move.

I'm fortunate that we're not living in poverty, but money is t.i.g.h.t.

And all that leads to me ask this question of you scary-smart chair experts out there:

Which manual chair will get me the best bang for my bucks?

A few additional considerations:

--I don't need (and can't afford) to pay for the lightest chair out there. Of course, lighter is always better. But since I'll only be self-propelling for very short distances, I'm able to handle a few more pounds if it will save a few more dollars.

--Advice on what options to choose on the chair you recommend is greatly appreciated. I know jack about casters, forks, and other important parts that can screw you but good if you get the wrong ones.

Anything else that would help you help me, just ask.

Thanks so much.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Tilite, . 4 or 5" 1.5 aluminum billet front wheels etc.

if you're looking for a cheap short-term solution, find a used or demo chair online. Ebay is good if you can find the right measurements. Criagslist is another outlet. I saw a newer Tilite AeroZ go for $450 a few weeks ago on Ebay.

Good luck.

what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    if you're looking for a cheap short-term solution, find a used or demo chair online. Ebay is good if you can find the right measurements. Criagslist is another outlet. I saw a newer Tilite AeroZ go for $450 a few weeks ago on Ebay.

Good luck.
    Was it Metallic Orange? I bought that chair.

16 x 16 highly adjustable. I'll sell it with the power add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    what's your budget?
    Don't laugh, please, but do be honest if I'm totally unrealistic. Ideal budget ceiling is $3k, but I might be able to go up another thou for the right chair.

Brian -- finding the right measurements are the kicker. I'm kinda atypical in build, so I'm going to Puerto Rico next week for measuring and an eval. I just want to buy my new chair on my own instead of through the eval clinic's DME because I know doing so will save me some major markup.

PattheRat -- that chair is the exact color of orange as my best friend Jon's old Honda 750. ~lol~ Oh, the memories...
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Pattherat,
    How much?!

engineermom2

In my opinion the TiLite Aero Z (aluminum) would be a great choice. On http://www.sportaid.com/tilite-aero-...heelchair.html it's only $1550 (base price) and if you don't need add ons is a good deal. I have a TiLite ZRA, and would have gone with the Aero Z, but needed a frame modification only possible with titanium.
    Last edited by Lynne; 04-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermom2 View Post
    Pattherat,
    How much?!

engineermom2
    I will pay $100 more than you! lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

If you know/have your measurements after your evaluation, I would order a Tilite from SportAid. I recently purchased a new w/c and they had the best prices by far according to my research. (I went with in network DME to try and save $ but probably would have paid less $ paying cash out of pocket )

You can research Tilite's different models online as well as lots of comments, preferences, and even photos here on CC.

I went with Tilite and I am very pleased with the quality and contruction. Especially when compared to the Quickie 2 and E&J models I have used. For me it is worth the relatively small difference in price to buy one decent chair that will last and give you good service compared to buying a POS that you might become frustrated with, or hurt yourself or hubby. We had a loaner wc while my new wc was being built and my hubby cursed it every time he had to fight with it to load it in the van. Not to mention what it did to the walls, trim, and baseboards in our house. It was an unruly, oversized, beast to handle.

Hope you get what you need and want soon.
    The IceDragon Avatar best represents my constant Freezing yet Burning Pain...not to mention all the other sensations that come with neuro pain