Thread: Can't sleep

Can't sleep

I was taking remeron that was helping me sleep, but I had been very tired during the day, plus I did not want to get up. I had been sleeping 10 hours a night, yet was very tired during the day. Stopped taking that and now I feel better, but I lay in bed for 3-4 hours, then get up after 6 of sleeping.

I have taken lunesta and ambien, both of which worked great for a couple weeks. Then it was the same.

Anybody have suggestions. I hate laying in bed for hours.

Oh yea, I don't drink caffiene most of the time. If I do, its 10 hours before I go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    I was taking remeron that was helping me sleep, but I had been very tired during the day, plus I did not want to get up. I had been sleeping 10 hours a night, yet was very tired during the day. Stopped taking that and now I feel better, but I lay in bed for 3-4 hours, then get up after 6 of sleeping.

I have taken lunesta and ambien, both of which worked great for a couple weeks. Then it was the same.

Anybody have suggestions. I hate laying in bed for hours.

Oh yea, I don't drink caffiene most of the time. If I do, its 10 hours before I go to bed.
    Have you ever tried benadryl? It is for allergies but one of the side affects is it makes you drowsy and I do not think you will tired during the day the next day.... They gave it to me when I was in the hospital when I was first injured to get me off my sleeping med that I had been taking right after I had been injured.

I usually take 1mg Melatonin before bed; more than that I feel groggy the next am. It's natural, safe, effective & CHEAP. These excerpts from respected MEDLINE articles may be helpful:

Critical Care (London, England) 2008; Vol. 12 (2)
    Melatonin use was associated with increased nocturnal sleep efficiency. Doses of 1 to 2 mg could be used

Journal Of Neurology 2007 Apr; Vol. 254 (4), pp. 459-64.
    Melatonin significantly improved subjective quality of sleep
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

You should definitely try Melatonin 1 to 2 mg. It is safe and natural.
    CWO

One of the things I hate the most even though it seldom happens.

i like the sound of the natural approach. but i've taken remeron, lunesta, ambien, benadryl, plus a couple others i can't remember. i'm taking trazadone right now. i seem to be getting more hours of sleep but most nights it's the same routine..waking up every 2 or 3 hours.

i've had sleep issues since my rollover on 3/4/04.
    i also ran the gambit of sleep meds from benadryl to trazadone to ambien to lumnesta to tramadol to ultram etc
    i also have been on 120mg o baclofen for spasms that never worked.

now I take 50mg elavil @ bedtime for my bladder since it can hold over 2500cc when full and i get dysreflexic if I don't take it, wake up sweaty w/ my BP thru the roof
    i'm also on 36mg zanaflex for spasms.
    and oxytrol 3.9mg for my bladder which is ditropan in a patch.
    I do sleep better these days, just took them the last 6 yrs to figure out the right drug mix!

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    I usually take 1mg Melatonin before bed; more than that I feel groggy the next am. It's natural, safe, effective & CHEAP. These excerpts from respected MEDLINE articles may be helpful:

Critical Care (London, England) 2008; Vol. 12 (2)
    Melatonin use was associated with increased nocturnal sleep efficiency. Doses of 1 to 2 mg could be used

Journal Of Neurology 2007 Apr; Vol. 254 (4), pp. 459-64.
    Melatonin significantly improved subjective quality of sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You should definitely try Melatonin 1 to 2 mg. It is safe and natural.
    CWO
    I knew I could get some help here.

Thanks