Thread: it's Electrifying!

it's Electrifying!

So... Crazy Question....
    So if we get struck by lightning, would we be affected?
    I'm sitting on 4 rubber wheels... does that mean I'm not grounded?

... Not that I am about to try it out or anything!

Lightning is able to arc a mile or more down through the air to reach you, it wouldn't have any problem arcing a few inches more through the air around your wheels to the ground.

You didn't ask this question directly, but I made a similar experiment just a few years back.

If you stand on a metal railway bridge and pee onto the electric live rail below....the electricity does NOT arc up your stream of urine to ground through you.

My deep scientific curiosity (assisted by alcohol) prompted this experiment.

The belief of many is that a car is a safe place to be during a thunderstorm if lightning strikes it because it is grounded on rubber tires. That's not the case, from what I've heard. The car is safe because of the steel body surrounding the passenger area.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    The belief of many is that a car is a safe place to be during a thunderstorm if lightning strikes it because it is grounded on rubber tires. That's not the case, from what I've heard. The car is safe because of the steel body surrounding the passenger area.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    You didn't ask this question directly, but I made a similar experiment just a few years back.

If you stand on a metal railway bridge and pee onto the electric live rail below....the electricity does NOT arc up your stream of urine to ground through you.

My deep scientific curiosity (assisted by alcohol) prompted this experiment.
    However, I can say from personal experience that peeing on an electric fence does indeed zap you.