Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent: Quad taking GRE & Poor hand control (C5/C7)

Arrow Urgent: Quad taking GRE & Poor hand control (C5/C7)

Hello there my friends!

Has any quad taken the GRE (while a quad), and studied for it too? I need help, and knowing how you did it will help me.

Please tell your story:
    1. How you studied for (verbal, math, writing)
    2. How you took the test (recorder/scribe?), computer version or written version?
    3. Timing (how much time did you have? (regular, +half, +1)?
    4. Any help from any one? Mentor? Paid person?
    5. How long was the process (study+take test)?
    6. Did you have enough time?
    7. Retook the test? And studied again?

I don't write, I type with one finger.
    I never used a scribe in my life, I don't know how easy it would be.
    Doing math? Usually i used to write when solving problems.

Any help, advice, ideas, greatly appreciated.
    Please help!

Thank you!

you really need to speak with your school's disability office if you have one, just to get more time on the GRE and someone to help you if you need it.

the gre provides study books (at cost) to you. they take 3 - 6 months to work through. usually there are prep places that can help you, you can look on the website for the GRE http://www.ets.org/gre/ they have tips on how to study. depending on your major you may need to take specialty GREs in addition to the standard.

many ppl retake them, but tha gets expensive. i think the test is around $150?? i'll be studying next year for the GREs so gl to you!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I took the MAT an got an extra hour. I'd heard the GRE was more math than the MAT at that time.

I took the MAT as well and I was allotted some extra time. I didn't need it because it was all on a laptop computer with a touchpad. I hear you on the math problems -- it is hard not being able to sketch out basic formulas. The GRE workbooks are good place to start. Best of luck.

yeah, the GRE is a computer-based test. I type w/ 1 finger as well, had no problems w/ it.

you can request accommodations, but you need a letter from a doctor IIRC.

I only took it once.

studying will eat up the most time; this book is all I needed: http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-2010-...2130129&sr=8-1 (although I used an older edition)

Thank you all, please keep um coming.

MAT Takers, why did you take this test? And how did it affect your present?

Would the MAT be a replacement for the GRE?

It's been a long time since I applied to grad school, but when I did (in the early 1980s) the school determined which exams it required, for which majors. The MAT (Miller Aptitude Test) is primarily an exam of verbal skills and reasoning, which the GRE is more like the SAT in that it tests a wide variety of skills including math and verbal skills. I had to take both, as one school required one, and another school I was applying to required the other. Because I am sort of a math dunce, I was sorry I had to take the GRE, and had to study for that. Did not study at all for the MAT. Was accepted at both schools.

If you have a disability that requires more time or other special accommodations to take the exam, you need to ask about this immediately when signing up for the exam. It is not an unusual request, and if you are taking it at a local school (common) their Disabled Students Services office can also help you.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have a disability that requires more time or other special accommodations to take the exam, you need to ask about this immediately when signing up for the exam.
    Yup... almost.

Come to think of it, you can't just sign up for the GRE and expect accommodations. I had to fill out a request form & submit a letter from my doctor to document the need. This had to be mailed well in advance & then reviewed/accepted prior to even signing up to take the test.

Some reading: http://www.ets.org/disability/

I had to take the GRE. MAT vs. GRE is likely up to the institution you wish to attend.

I took the GRE about 4 and a 1/2 years ago. I just bought three study guides from Barnes and Noble and spent six weeks preparing. I'm a spazz so I made flash cards and carried them around with me when I wasn't at home. I used info on the ETS website and searched the internet for any clues, but the guides were all I really needed. I didn't really have a problem. I'm a counselor and have worked with students. I can tell that the biggest mistakes are cramming, not sleeping 8 hours the night before the test, and eating bad the days preceding the test. Sleep, healthy diet, exercise, and preparing over a longer period improve scores. 1 to 2 hours of missed sleep can drop your score on average about 6%.

The test was computer based and all the computers were accessible. I sat where I wanted. My disabilities services director wrote a letter to confirm my need for additional time (he was Certified Rehabilitation Counselor I think it helped that he had credentials). I finished a few minutes ahead with scores high enough to enter the graduate program I was applying to. I hope this helps.

Good Luck, Scott.

SeaN
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Post View Post
    Good Luck, Scott.
    Thanks. I took the GRE in '09 & have already knocked out a year of grad school. I was replying to the OP.