Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SC Wheelin' Sportsmen Turkey Hunt

SC Wheelin' Sportsmen Turkey Hunt

My buddy Mike and I took off at 5:30 last Thursday morning and drove to Aiken SC where we met up with 24 other hunters with disabilities, NWTF, USFS and Dept. of Energy volunteers for an awesome spring gobbler hunt at the 200,000 acre Savannah River Nuclear Site. Each hunter had approx. 2000 acres to hunt!

We scouted Thursday afternoon and returned before dawn Friday to hunt. We heard lots of birds gobbling first thing but we moved to get set up closer. We ended up calling in two gobblers from different directions. The gobbler that came in through the pines in front of us was huge but he got into some thick stuff at 35 yards and never gave me a shot. We then moved a mile or so down the road to another area that I had liked the day before during scouting. We went along a road through prescribed burn pines, made a couple of calls and got an immediate answer. We ended up calling in two gobblers but they came in my right side so I had to switch my shotgun around on the rest and shoot left-handed. They appeared behind a downed log, came out into the open and stopped to look for the hen. They were side by side, necks 8" apart so I shot and both went down. My first one-shot double.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Here's my set up and the last thing a turkey sees. 25 hunters harvested 42 gobblers during the 2-day hunt.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

And part of a group shot.

Awesome DeadEye...Congrats!

As much as I like the outdoors I never hunted for turkeys. By the time I'd be ready to go, the morning hunt would be shot. Here in NJ hunting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until 12pm. Not sure about other states though.

BTW, I love your 3D leafy camo.
    March 21st, 2010 - The day the Republic Died

I'd call that a good hunt. 2 fer 1... how sweet is that. Way to be DE!

I like your gun mount. Your own design?

hey robin whats that camo your useing because im jjust throwing my blind up right now and id like to get something like your useing so i dont have to throw my blind up evertime..

Chad, you wouldn't believe the property and the amount of birds on there. A truly amazing hunt.

96 and Deel, the camo I'm using is the new Quaker Boy vest-a-blind. I saw it at the NWTF convention in Nashville, liked it and said I'd check into getting one later. Well, my lady friend went back to the trade show floor and picked one up for me while I was in a meeting and surprised me with it before the season. It works great for me. I attached it to my turkey vest, it stores in it's own hood, and I flip it over my head, roll it out, and I'm covered. When I'm done I just pull it up into my lap and roll back to the van. I roll it up later and store it back into the hood.

NorthQuad, yes, my own design that I produce and sell. Pm if you want more info.

Here's the link to the camo I'm using.

http://www.quakerboy.com/index.cfm
    Last edited by DeadEye; 04-21-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added link.

Awesome!

Good hunt!