Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me how accessible is Charleston, SC!

Okay, in the downtown area there are some walking tours - one of which is a "Ghost Tour".

Tanger Mall was mentioned and is good if you want to shop.

I also offer my cell phone number if you PM me, in case you have more questions.

Oh yeah - also in the downtown area are shuttle buses which I believe are w/c accessible. You could call CARTA and find out for sure. This is in case you get tired of walking/rolling everywhere. I think you can download a map of the downtown area and the bus/shuttle schedules at http://www.ridecarta.com
    I mention the shuttle because it's very convenient. It will, for example, drop you off right in front of the entrance to Charleston's water front park and within a block or two of all the restaurants I mentioned in my previous post.

Check out http://www.postandcourier.com for more info and for high and low tide times (for that harbor tour ride).

Tide info: http://weather.charleston.net/auto/c...AR/AM/330.html
    Last edited by DougM; 04-24-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Too add comments...

Talking :)

I LOVE YOU GUYS! Thanks so so so so much....

Reading DougM's post makes me want to go back to Charleston I loved that place cobble stone and all. We stayed at Folly Beach with an ocean view from our balcony but like I mentioned we didn't actually go to the beach we were too busy sight seeing. I really would love to go back.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Red face Well... it was ok.

I won't bore you with the hormonal reasons the trip started off rocky. The first place we stayed was bad. Stinky and small. Guess you get what you pay for. Everyone was super friendly. We ended up at the extended stay in Mt. Pleasant-met our needs perfectly and was very wheelchair friendly, just no pool. LOVED Mt. Pleasant more than Charleston! Stayed close to the big, beautiful pier at waterfront park. Ate at Mosaics near the Towne Center- YUMMY! In Charleston, Ate at Hyman's- delicious. Walked around all the monuments. Tried to go on a ghost tour but the few we called were hesitant about the stupid wheelchair. We should have gone anyway. I Hate when obviously the person you're talking to knows noone in a dang chair. So hard to relate. Went to the farmers market in Mt Pleasant. Fun. Walked around downtown charleston. Fine. The shopping was so good but our funds were just not adequate. We found folley beach on Thursday and finally found the special beach chair. Had a blast that day! There were people flying like 20 kites- almost felt like a festival. Husband made me bring his manual chair to the packed sand so he could go wherever he wanted. That worked out great. but then it was time to go home. Vacation over, almost ruined by my hormonal rage... Oh well. We may or may not visit the area again- probably would look better to someone more interested in history and not experiencing the worst monthly cycle of her life...
    YOUR TIPS WERE AWESOME. If not for the phone numbers listed for the beach chair, we wouldn't have found it. The "disability resource center for charleston" had no idea the beaches even had these. What a joke!
    Thanks again for the tips...

I forgot to mention that, if you've never had them, you should stop by a vendor on 61 and try some boiled peanuts.

I'm glad you had some fun!
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Sorry your hormones were on a rampage but sounds like you still had fun. Wish I had known about the beach chair when we were there years ago. I did love Charleston and my husband loves history so Charleston was a great place for him. Glad you had a nice time.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Too late for your trip, but here's another Charleston trip report from a wheeler's perspective: http://wheelstraveler.blogspot.com/2...harelston.html

Hey, just back from Charleston. I'm ambulatory but challenged. It is flat and I found a few curbs difficult but overall pretty decent. Got really hot 98 degrees and I don't cool properly so this may present a challenge.

we street parked with relative ease (still early with kids still in school)

only thing that got me pissed is getting an overtime in a HC spot, wtf?? only place where they did not give HCs a grace period. think I was 15-20 min late?? so that sucked but my wife and I LOVE Charleston.

I was worried and have been on the verge of wheels and although I tired out and had to take breaks etc I found it pretty accessible. I presume someone will be with you, if so it will help in the odd tough place.

I'll be posting some pics soon.
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

arrgghhh sorry didn't date check!!
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

<a href=></a>