Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: medicare, i don't get it

so...i know medicare will be prime, effective 1 july, for me. my son will still get full medical/dental under COBRA for july, then nothing.
    Apply for SCHIP for your son. Many folks on disability/Medicare find their families left without insurance--it is the main reason I still work.

If he does not qualify for SCHIP, you may be able to purchase an individual policy for him.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

another question: medicare A and B card is good for. don't i need part D?
    Part D, the prescription drug plan, is purchased and paid for separately, and you'll get a separate card.

If you take expensive or a lot of meds, the Part D coverage is a god send, even with the damn donut hole (a gap between basic and catastrophic coverage in which you pay all costs out of pocket until your total OOP expenses reach ~$4600). For $28/month, my plan (AARP Saver) paid for over $13k out of $18k worth of prescription meds.

Plan D choices vary by area, although the three AARP Rx plans are available to everyone on Medicare, regardless of their age. The Medicare.gov web site has a tool that helps you compare plans in your area. Enter all your meds, and it generates a comparison of which plans cover what (there is a basic formulary, but many plans go well beyond it), premium costs and deductibles, etc. In addition, most pharmacists can also help you select a plan that best covers your meds.

It can be rather overwhelming, but hang in there, it does get a little easier to keep it all straight.

Hope the helps, cass!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Cass, I get my medicare part D from AARP, and it is great. I have a seven dollar co-pay for most generics and the places you can get your scripts filled, including through the mail, is endless.

ok, thx. i think the prescriptions will probably be covered under Boeing's supplemental health ins. but am unsure. until may 1 (when i can apply for disability retirement), i can't seem to get a straight answer out of any of them.

i was surprised to get a medicare card in the mail (over a month ago) this far in advance of coverage start date.