Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: eMedicine Article on Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    "The Cure" sounds so silly to me. I'd laugh if not so pathetic. I seriously doubt if anything covering all comes along as "The Cure". Steps will be made probably for spacific groups, ie young, newly injured w/ little or no atrophy. From there possibly some movement w/out feeling... "The Cure" across the board just seems impossible.
    Remember, I was told in 1970 about a cure in 10yrs. I'm just glad I lived a full life with nothing stopping me. Those I knew in rehab with the same or lower injuries who hid, stayed in the family home and were catered to are no longer with us. They were forever "sick" and died from septecemia or phneumonias.
    totally.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Does life expectancy of 39 years mean a low quad would die at age 39? or live 39 years post SCI.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

A friend and I, both C5/6 are "celebrating" 44 years post-sci this summer, so statistics are only an average and don't mean much for any individual, especially if they have no suicidal urges or aren't addicted to alcohol.

Emi I believe it means, you'll live 39 years after your accident. I would have been interested in having theses same statistics from 25yrs ago or more, just for comparison. Remember these are just statistics and are interesting, but not the rule for all of us.

I agree with DA ... why would anyone want to give funds to those who want treatments when so many check out via suicide or alcoholism? Just trying to see another point of view.

Eileen I agree. It's nice to know statistics, but it's also nice to know the exceptions!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

According to those stats, I'll either shoot myself or my ticker will take a licking and not keep ticking.

Suicide is the number one cause of death for paras? I find that hard to believe. If it's true, it surely skews the average lifespan number in the downward direction.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I agree with DA ... why would anyone want to give funds to those who want treatments when so many check out via suicide or alcoholism? Just trying to see another point of view.
    Actually, the statistics about suicide and alcoholism work really well to help those who believe the "poor, pitiful us" view of SCI is the way to go:

"Please, give now and give generously to help find a cure for these poor, pitiful people before another paraplegic blows his brains out to escape the hell that is SCI/D."
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I've only got 18 months left, according to this article. I can't even get through my Netflix queue that fast.

Seriously, folks. We have something that might remotely resemble a cure, or at least an improvement in quality of life: the Xiao procedure.

I'm on borrowed time.

SCI Life

I am surprised kidney failure is not listed high among causes of death for corders. I am at 49 percent kidney function and have stayed at that point for two years, but fulyy expect more loss of function.

I did not know pneumonia is our leading death cause. If I read the report correctly, most SCI is C-4-5, and respiratory problems are more common in the higher injury levels.

Yes, the report is depressing, but enlightening. As for a Jerry's Kids type telethon for SCI/D, it's just not my bag. On the other hand, I certainly would encourage and support such an endeavor. At my age I want to live as comfortably as possible and be the least possible burden on my wife/caregiver.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I'm on borrowed time.
    Hope it's not my time you are borrowing.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now