Thread: ADVICE FOR NEW PARA, FIRST PREGNANCY

ADVICE FOR NEW PARA, FIRST PREGNANCY

Greetings: I am a therapist working with a 20 yo gal 9 weeks post car wreck, now a T12 para. She is 7 weeks pregnant and I am short on advice for her. Any help? We need to know everything you can give us-dealing with morning sickness, cathing vs Foley in late pregnancy,tips on staying comfortable, whatever. All help is appreciated and will be passed along to her. Thanks.

You've come to the right place. I'll do research tomorrow. But the best resource is our members, who have borne and are now carrying children in a spinal-cord injured body.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

I did not have any problems under my three pregnancys, but the best tip I can give is not to gain to much weight. Last time I gained 35 kg and it was not fun. And no epidural under the birth.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Also check out the pregnancy resources posted on our sister website: www.mobilewomen.org

(KLD)

link to short article

link to emi's pregnancy experiences

link to a video you can purchase or possibly borrow

one more article

Out of all this info, I recommend Emi's account in particular. She lived it, she doesn't sugarcoat it...and there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow named Violet.

Some internet resources, not even the tip of the iceberg...

Pregnant with a disability message board-ivillage

from canada, abilities magazine. Good archives, much info

Disability, Pregnancy and Parenthood International

A list of links for parents with disabilities

By googling pregnancy and disability, your client should find loads of info. She really needs to do this, as she may well need to educate her ob/gyn in SCI matters.

Wish her luck, and send her over!

Hi, welcome to carecure! I have a good friend who just went through her first pregnancy as a para, also a young t12. I would love to give her your e-mail, or your patient's. Maybe she can give you some tips and first hand experience. You can PT it to me or e-mail me at amandamoore26@yahoo.com.Good luck with everything. I think it is great that you are going above the call of duty to help her. My PT has been extremely helpful and through my first year with SCI. He has become a great friend as well as a huge support. keep up the good work.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Read my experience, and if you have any specific questions post here or email me. The physical stuff can all be dealt with, the mental stuff is harder. Especially beng newly injured too... I was almost 2 years post injury and had a hard time adjusting my dreams of motherhood as an able-biodied woman to the reality of motherhood with a Spinal Cord Injury.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Please let me know of any issues she may have when it comes to cathing and supplies. I can help supply any educational information or samples to help allow you to teach her during this tough time.