Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking In

Checking In

Wow, I can't hardly believe I remembered the password for this account. Looks like it's been over 3 years since I last used it. I have posted and checked in once in a while as Mike Honcho, but I was trying to be funny and not hide my identity.

Most may not remember me, but those first few years after my injury I was depressed, bored, bitter, argumentative, pessimistic, and lonely. I wasn't dealing well with my injury and losses. I remember feeling anger whenever anybody would write or imply that "things will get better". Without rambling on any further, I'll just say that I was an idiot in denial.

The two best things I did were 1) going back to school and 2) getting out of the house to rejoin society. Today I received notice that I'm being promoted from an Instructor to Assistant Professor, and it made me reflect on how I was many years ago when I didn't think a good life was possible as a quad. I owe much of my motivation to Wise and some of the other members here (Leo, John Smith and his son, larwatson, Chris C., betheny, good old dogger, Seneca, November, Carrie, Kristi, Steven Edwards, handibob, Scott P, teena, Schmeky, Mike K, Curtis, Mary, Globe, and the nurses). Maybe even Acid. Thank you.

The lessons: don't give up and learn from the experiences of others.

cjo, congratulations on the promotion. And hey, we all have a bit of idiot in us. Take it from me, there can be many good years ahead. I wish you all the best.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Chris, good going. You have come sooooooooo far. I remember those days.

I actually just found/bumped a thread the other day from way back when.
    It is proof that things can get so much better. Drop me an email!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Chris, good going. You have come sooooooooo far. I remember those days.

I actually just found/bumped a thread the other day from way back when.
    It is proof that things can get so much better. Drop me an email!
    So many people on this forum have come so far. It's truly a blessing that this community exists.

I just saw the thread you bumped. It's interesting to see my mindset back then compared to when it was much worse, and then now.

Hope that you're doing well and I'll check in with an email in the coming days

Two more things...

I promise to lay off the narcissism, but I'll post a couple more things I'm proud of.

1. I won a faculty award for teaching: http://www.dsu.edu/news/2010/faculty-awards-02-19.aspx

2. Although I don't stay chained to the past and the marketing firm makes it seem that someone in a wheelchair cannot have a good life, the message is important. The commercial is being shown all over South Dakota: http://www.youtube.com/parentsmatter#p/u/2/BMyDhDlM6uE

I remember the old Chris...and he was always nice to me...

I'm so proud of you that I feel like a peacock!!! LOL!!!

The best of everything, friend...

Take care and God bless,

Teena
    Last edited by teena; 04-17-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teena View Post
    I remember the old Chris...and he was always nice to me...

I'm so proud of you that I feel like a peacock!!! LOL!!!

The best of everything, friend...

Take care and God bless,

Teena
    Thanks, Teena

Hey Chris, congrats on the promotion and award. Glad to hear everything is well! Tell your mom HI! Oh, and those Vikings ain't doing so bad either! lol Now my Lions...................well, that's another story. Thanks, Bob

Hey Chris. Congrats!! Makes me very happy to see you're happy. Takes a lot of hard work and a hearty appetite for eating shit to get from there to here.

Wow, that commercial is very powerful. Thanks for putting yourself out there. You're message will be heard.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Great Job Chris! Proud of you to share such a difficult story. Congrats on the promotion and awards. All anyone can do is move forward...