Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: x5 frontier

I've actually been looking into the x8. I'm so tired of the unaccessible outdoors & need to go where & when I want. How about driving from these things, anyone doing that?

David has drove from the x5, although he techinically is not supposed to drive, our van is set up that he can and I just took him out to the country practicing.

Thanks for the reply re: driving. Out of curiousity, what size is your van? I just have a mini-van & haven't checked the specs for heighth & width.

I don't drive from my X5, but I do load it and transfer from it to my drivers seat, inside my minivan. Inside a house or my motorhome, I have to make sure and go all the way across any throw rug, then turn around, or the rotating caster will bunch up the rug into a mess.

I don't think an X8 would work for driving from in a minivan, they have huge turning radius's, at least they did when it was an X4, I test drove one of them. They are beasts, but definitely outdoor beasts only.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks, McDuff. I definitely need something to fit into the Crip Ryd. I guess I'll just need to test drive them both. Seems like many have been happy enough with the x5, maybe that's all I need for the freedom I want.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Could you tell us what your head height in the X-5 is?
    I am surprised that you would fit in a mini van unless the floor is dropped and the roof raised.

No way I can fit in a mini van regardless. I borrowed a TDX to learn how to drive and my head was stuck in the celling and had a terrible time seeing to drive correctly.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-20-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I have a Braun Entervan, so yes it's a lowered floor, but not a raised roof. I have to duck my head going thru the door, but can sit up inside. Of course that is in the midsection, not sure how I'd fit in the drivers area. Have no idea what my head height is.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

We have a 2006 Chevy Uplander with braun entravan as well. David is 6'1", don't know what his head height is sitting in the X5 chair though. The floor is lowered in the van but ceiling is not raised, the van also lowers down when the ramp is extended. He loads easily, just kinda tilts his head to the side when entering the van, sits comfortably in either the middle section or in the passenger seat area where he usually sits. Took the drivers seat out once to let him drive, thats the same as sitting in the passenger seat area. I took all of our throw rugs up, we had the same problem with them getting caught under the chair actually his TDX did the same.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Thanks folks.

Unfortunately a mini van with a dropped floor would not work here on dirt and gravel roads, not even considering snow.
    Makes it difficult for people with powerchairs to drive.
    We are usually always stuck in full size vans and they still need a raised roof and a dropped floor.
    Without a big insurance settlement or wealthy parents most are stuck in a bus.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-27-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I know what you mean there, we have our fair share of dirt and gravel roads, try to stay off them as much as possible in the van, as it is pretty rough going. Also the other bad thing about the van is that there are lots of approaches to the roads, like coming out of a restraunt or store and then onto the road, its inclined just enough that the van bottoms out and screeches something awful. I always look behind to see if there are sparks. We are about 20 miles to town and the full size van we had before though about killed us in gas usage.