Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: x5 frontier

cool thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I weight between 240 and 250 pounds and at this size the balance of the X-5 is terrible. The fact is the center of gravity is way to high.
    Operating this chair on any thing but relatively level ground is very challenging. Even attempting to get off the road onto the sloped edge of the road to get out of the way of traffic is shaky.

The electronic joystick control with the raised buttons will easily leak precipitation inside, disabling the controls The actuator that operates the tilt function of my seat is entirely exposed to the weather also.

Along with the aggravation of dealing with 4 large casters, it's too much.
    I would not purchase another.
    I am going to demo a permobil or another front wheel drive. But what I really need is a replacement Omegatrac. The cost is comparable to an X-5 on planetmobility at $19,000.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-18-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

We tried to order the chair originally from Planetmobility but they said they were no longer dealers, just had not updated their webpage. The tilt function for Davids chair is built into the main controller, it does the seat elevator, tilt and elevating legs all in the same controller. His also has the raised buttons but hasn't not had any moisture problems, again not had the chair that long and he doesn't really stay out long if its raining, only in and out of vehicle to the house. Best bet would to be to demo one expecially if the weight is going to be an issue.

Wheelin,

I have an X5 and love it. Sure it has its limitations just like everything else, but if you use it within those parameters, it won't let you down. I use mine to cut the grass, snowblow, and chase the kids just about anywhere. Its a great chair.

I know F-Ranger has had some issues with his, but I have almost all good to say about mine. I use mine in the rain and heavy snowfall and have never had an issue with the electronics. If it gets REALLY bad I through a shopping bag over the controller, but thats it. It does help to be able to lean forward when climbing hills, but I think the manufacturer offers stronger springs to offset the lean-back if you cant lean forward.

Mine has never (knock-wood) left me stranded anywhere and I've gone straight out into the northern forests of Pa with it. (no trails)

Then, as long as its clean, can roll right into the house......;-)
    Dave

If anyone is looking for an X5 there is one of the dealer demos for sale in a thread on here for $13000, reg $20000. Just thought I would let ya know.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133071
    Last edited by medic1; 04-19-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added link

It is too bad that planet's not selling them anymore.

There is no way that the X-5 is worth 20 grand. Mine is only 4 months old and so many things are wrong with it its ridiculous.
    I don't dare let anyone work on it, something else may break and leave me stranded.

Obviously the quality of the new chairs must have been reduced. My X-5 will need to stay on the level. One little tip and I would be on the ground. Maybe some outriggers, a upgraded suspension and never change the standard seating. The motion concepts seating may be responsible for some of the balance problems as it was not designed for it.

The dealer wants to move my seat back to keep it from getting stuck. He was surprised when he saw me get trapped forward when stopping. The problem is that it is already subject to tipping over backward when I tilt all the way.

The X-5 is in my piece of s _ _ t category.

It's too bad as I am stuck with it for probably 4 or 5 years. It is really going to affect my lifestyle if I don't get my other chair repaired , as I am used to going where ever I wanted. The chair mechanic from the DME dealer told me a number of manufacturers are going to release some new front wheel drive models. Yeah!!
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-19-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I weight between 240 and 250 pounds and at this size the balance of the X-5 is terrible. The fact is the center of gravity is way to high.
    Operating this chair on any thing but relatively level ground is very challenging. Even attempting to get off the road onto the sloped edge of the road to get out of the way of traffic is shaky.

The electronic joystick control with the raised buttons will easily leak precipitation inside, disabling the controls The actuator that operates the tilt function of my seat is entirely exposed to the weather also.

Along with the aggravation of dealing with 4 large casters, it's too much.
    I would not purchase another.
    I am going to demo a permobil or another front wheel drive. But what I really need is a replacement Omegatrac. The cost is comparable to an X-5 on planetmobility at $19,000.
    I have a 10-year-old Omegatrac I probably don't use it as hard as some folks, but I really do appreciate its stability. I weigh less than 150 pounds though and the chair weighs over 400! sounds like you made a decision not to replace your OT. Any particular reason why? I haven't had much dealings with the new company. But, they were able to supply me with the old-style P&G controller that the original manufacturer swore they couldn't get any more.
    the frigging thing is a tank I'm not sure what I'll replace it wit.

I am looking to replace my Omegatrac. The problem is Next Mobility the new owner.
    As to my other post, they are not answering phones and the company has been taken over by a company named Miller technical Services.

I bet the Finches, the designers of the OT are extremely concerned. The best multiple use powerchair on the market may disappear.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

I gave Next Mobility a call today. The lady I spoke to said they were still committed to manufacturing and repairing Omegatrac. So I guess we'll see.

I always assumed a problem with this chair was that they are too expensive for most insurance providers, so that they weren't able to sell enough of them to maintain ongoing product development and provide maintenance. I'm surprised that the Frontier chair is so $$$. I thought it would be in the low teens.

I just got home from the NASCAR races, it rained like hell for 2 days, made the campground a muddy disaster.

I ran my X5 thru sticky, ugly mud, took it thru puddles to wash the tires off, went up and down this slick ass hillside with no troubles at all. It was steep enough(and I've been on steep hills before) that I had a spotter walk behind me.

I wouldn't go sideways across a hill, that would be asking for a dump, but using my tilt to lean back as I go down, and then leaning way forward going up, makes it pretty damn stable for me. I'm a T10 and about 180lbs.

e.t.a. It works just fine inside my motorhome, which is some tight spaces, after I run the mud off otherwise the wife won't let me in.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"