Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: x5 frontier

x5 frontier

from looking at some old threads the x5 seems like a good all terrain chair im looking into one question is the x5 would probly be better than a 4 wheel drive chair for all around use whats your thoughts
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

We just got David a Frontier X5 in December. He loves it. We went with it because it is good indoors and outdoors. Hasn't been stuck once. There are others here that have had there's alot longer and I went on their advice. We bought his online, best price I could find was at www.allwebscooters.com What part of Illinois are you in?

thanks for the link im in troy illinois not far from stlouis were you guys atin illinois

We are close to Champaign. I called Innovation in Motion and there was a rep in the St. Louis area that brought both the X5 and the X4 here to the house for David to try. He was very nice, he however thought I was buying from a local DME guy. Once I started digging into the price though the webpage I gave you was much much cheaper. I have posted this before and hate to now because I don't remember exactly but we got the tilt, seat elevator, and elevating legs for around $18K. If you can't get your local DME to get one for you to try let me know and maybe we can get together and you can try Davids. I say that without asking David but...I'm sure he will understand.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have an X-5 and I have ran it thought the woods and fields here and I have some reservations.
    What level is your injury and how much do you weigh? Would you need tilt or recline?
    Those are some concerns.

The biggest problem I have run into lately is how the base flexes to keep power to the midwheel drive. Whenever I stop quickly, the chair flexes and gets stuck leaning forward. Aftermarket seating may be the primary cause but it is one terrible experience and it has happened often. The only way I could get the chair back down was to put the chair in tilt mode.
    Also the raised buttons on the controller can be hit accidentally and immediately change the settings. OK on pavement bad on irregular terrain, especially down hill.
    The swing away controller will not stay back and causes me untold grief.

Also fenders are extra and must be ordered. Ridiculous on an advertised all terrain wheelchair and they are expensive.

And I know now, without question, that front wheel drive is by far the best off pavement. Leading with casters that swivel sucks. Anything you hit can instantly change your direction, even small depressions and slight side hills will do you. Mine are always hitting and eating something such as towels.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-16-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I love mine! I have had it in 6 inches of snow, in sand , gravel , etc. Living in the UP of Michigan I needed something that could get me around. I have 30 acres and it is great being able to be outside and not worry if i am going to get stuck or if I can get someplace. I have the recline feature and it is great to take pressure off. It is a bit big but I use it mainly outside and is perfect for me.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I would suggest that anyone purchasing an X-5 weigh less than 200 lbs. and have full hand function. It is a simple fact that a chair with a 260 pound base will have center of gravity problems if the operator is larger.

I only realized the limitations of the X-5 after putting my Omegatrac in the shop. I realized quickly that their would be problems with balance and inclines the minute I started up my driveway. Of course I was used to the extreme stability and adjustable suspension on the Omegatrac.

Is the X-5 better off pavement than a standard powerchair? Yes
    But it does have numerous off pavement concerns not the least of which is the exposed electronics. This chair had better not get wet at all.

I have had 5 different powerchairs here in the National Forest that I have ran through the paces, so I know what works and what doesn't. Having multiple powerchairs to compare is critical to making an informed decision. Just saying it works great for me without considering weather, inclines, side hills, suspension and the ability to travel in straight line on a crowned road (the X-5 can't) is unsatisfactory.

People truly need to know whats good or bad about certain options or designs. That may keep folks from getting stuck or worse, injured.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-17-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

David does only weight 185 and also does have full use of his right hand which is were the control is, maybe thats why he hasn't had your problems. This is only his 2nd power chair, the first was an Invacare TDX storm 3 which in both of our opinions was a piece of sh**. He couldn't go in the back yard, which is level, without getting stuck. With the X5 he hasn't been stuck once, goes thru the cornfield, in the woods, to the river, in our freshly tilled garden (I really don't know why other than he wondered if he could) I am also confused to your statement about the electronics being exposed, he has 4 plug ins on the the backside of the chair that are all wrapped in plastic (weather proofed) and the other plug ins are under the seat on top of the battery boxes. You would have to go thru about a foot of water to get those wet. Maybe they have made some improvements. We did have a misshap with the chair on Easter sunday of all days, there was a weld on the hub of the drive wheel that broke, this caused the wheel to fall completely off. Yes I was extremely pissed but a neighbor welded it back up for me, sent pictures and an email to the company and they very quickly sent me a replacement hub. Now granted he has only had the chair since December.

were at in stlouis did ya call im about 240 to 250 lbs t10 level injury will mainly use it outside thought about a 4wheel drive chair but heard they werent good at all inside but wont be in much anyway ok thanks for the advice

The guy I called is Jerry Mann, the top one on this page http://www.mobility-usa.com/reps/IL.htm