Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First evidence that chitosan could repair spinal damage

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Interesting. I'm sitting in front of a bottle of Chitosan plus right now that I had bought a number of years ago. It was promoted as a weight loss suppliment. I just checked out the expiration date, it was 1999, lol. Had it in cabinet all these years. I thought that "Chitosan" sounded familiiar. Sure enough thats what I have. Still have about 100 pills left. I'm sure probabley tonight I'll have a dream I start taking these pills and am walking within a few weeks.
    ...not few weeks, don't you know the story of 5 more years?
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I wonder if they can bypass FDA approval like the other guys that do the bone marrow stem cell injections... Isn't this like the same stuff Chondroitin thats sold over the counter for joint issues as a supplement?

Interesting. I'm sitting in front of a bottle of Chitosan plus right now that I had bought a number of years ago. It was promoted as a weight loss suppliment. I just checked out the expiration date, it was 1999, lol. Had it in cabinet all these years. I thought that "Chitosan" sounded familiiar. Sure enough thats what I have. Still have about 100 pills left. I'm sure probabley tonight I'll have a dream I start taking these pills and am walking within a few weeks.
    Curt, this is a first. You didn't know that you had a "cure" sitting in your bathroom cabinet for ten years. Wikipedia has quite an extensive article on it and its various uses, including horticulture and water filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan
    Chitosan is produced commercially by deacetylation of chitin , which is the structural element in the exoskeleton of crustaceans (crabs, shrimp, etc.) and cell walls of fungi. The degree of deacetylation (%DD) can be determined by NMR spectroscopy, and the %DD in commercial chitosans is in the range 60-100 %.
    The amino group in chitosan has a pKa value of ~6.5, thus, chitosan is positively charged and soluble in acidic to neutral solution with a charge density dependent on pH and the %DA-value. This makes chitosan a bioadhesive which readily binds to negatively charged surfaces such as mucosal membranes. Chitosan enhances the transport of polar drugs across epithelial surfaces, and is biocompatible and biodegradable. Purified qualities of chitosans are available for biomedical applications.
    Chitosan and its derivatives such as trimethylchitosan (where the amino group has been trimethylated) have been used in non-viral gene delivery. Trimethylchitosan, or quaternised chitosan, has been shown to transfect breast cancer cells; with increased degree of trimethylation increasing the cytotoxicity and at approximately 50% trimethylation the derivative is the most efficient at gene delivery. Oligomeric derivatives (3-6 kDa) are relatively non-toxic and have good gene delivery properties.[2]
    The Wikipedia article also says that Chitosan is hypoallergenic, has anti-bacterial properties, and is being used by the U.S. Army on the battlefields of Iraq. It apparently also absorbs fat, the reason you may have it in your cabinet.

Biomedical use
    Chitosan's properties allow it to rapidly clot blood, and has recently gained approval in the United States for use in bandages and other hemostatic agents. Chitosan purified from shrimp shells is used in the range of hemostatic products. Chitosan hemostatic products have been shown in testing by the U.S. Marine Corps to quickly stop bleeding and result in 100% survival of otherwise lethal arterial wounds in swine and to reduce blood loss.[31] Chitosan hemostatic products reduce blood loss in comparison to gauze dressings and increase patient survival.[32] Chitosan hemostatic products have been sold to the U.S. Army, who have already used the bandages on the battlefields of Iraq.[33] Chitosan is hypoallergenic, and has natural anti-bacterial properties, further supporting its use in field bandages.[34]
    There was also a recent paper published on its use to repair injured spinal cords and as a scaffold for stem cells. I attach the papers. What it is getting more and more interesting...

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE View Post
    I wonder if they can bypass FDA approval like the other guys that do the bone marrow stem cell injections... Isn't this like the same stuff Chondroitin thats sold over the counter for joint issues as a supplement?
    If the material is to be injected into the spinal cord, it will require animal safety data (if the data is not already available). Chitosan has been around for a long long time. I of course knew about chitin because this is the material that shrimp shells are made from but I wasn't aware of the all the biomedical uses of this material. By the way, what one eats is very different from what one injects into the body and particularly into the spinal cord.

Wise.

I know chitosan has been used for a while for many tissue engineering applications as a popular biomaterial, so I believe its biocompatibility is well established. I saw recently its use in hydrogel form for pancreatic islet encapsulation and also I heard it stimulates some kind of bone remodeling when used as a scaffold. But also the article mentions that PEG could be toxic, I never heard about that. People use it all the time to coat things because it is less immunogenic than something like chitosan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    If the material is to be injected into the spinal cord, it will require animal safety data (if the data is not already available). Chitosan has been around for a long long time. I of course knew about chitin because this is the material that shrimp shells are made from but I wasn't aware of the all the biomedical uses of this material. By the way, what one eats is very different from what one injects into the body and particularly into the spinal cord.

Wise.
    I understand. I also understand that bypassing the FDA isn't a good thing although I would love to see these types of treatments come out faster. This treatment could possibly be a solution for my SCI as I have a bruised spinal cord. This sounds great though. It seems like they already have the Animal Safety data.
    Last edited by XYNaPSE; 04-18-2010 at 02:40 PM.

I had a post in this forum a few months ago on chitosan. I could only find an abstract about how in China they are using chitosan and I believe collagen for chronic injuries. I'll have to look for it.

Try Pubmed or sciencedirect.com.

Heres the stuff I have, not bad $6.00 for 120 capsules even though its slightly expired. http://www.avilaproducts.com/theprod...9227&owner=622

I remember when I took it that it did not seem to do much of anything though.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Heres the stuff I have, not bad $6.00 for 120 capsules even though its slightly expired. http://www.avilaproducts.com/theprod...9227&owner=622

I remember when I took it that it did not seem to do much of anything though.
    Found this where it talks about being a fat attractor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosa...ealth_benefits
    Chitosan is frequently sold in tablet form at health stores as a "fat attractor": It is supposed to have the capability of attracting fat from the digestive system and expelling it from the body so that users can, it is claimed, lose weight without eating less. However, some scientific research suggests that these claims are likely without substance. The FDA has issued warning letters to several companies who make claims that are not supported by reliable scientific evidence to the benefits of chitosan as a fat blocker.[35] At best, unmodified chitosan would remove roughly 10 calories per day from a person's diet.[36] Modified chitosan is claimed to absorb anywhere up to three to six times its weight in fat and oils. Detractors claim[who?] that using chitosan may have the deleterious effect of rendering ineffective certain minerals found in foodstuffs and required by the body in order to remain healthy.