Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIT and Italy collaborate on scaffolds for chronic SCI

MIT and Italy collaborate on scaffolds for chronic SCI

A interesting article on collaboration between researchers in Italy and MIT for chronic spinal cord injury.

Since this involves the US military maybe it will get to clinical trials.

http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=19962.php

Sounds like Neurogel.

This is for sure interesting.
    It was even on TV news several days ago here in Italy. I didn't post it here as I wanted to find out more first. I hope to be able to meet the Dr. Gelain soon.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

That seems like a big step in the right direction.

Blog Entries
    these are good stories to read during the cold winter. Helps me stay positive!

My most pertinent points are below. My full comments can be found on my blog at www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com - "Italians and their scaffolding"
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Gelain states, "we managed, for the first time, to obtain a consistent regeneration of the nervous tissue in chronicized injuries at the spinal cord by using a nanostructured composite scaffold with no cells in it." By this 'no cells' he is talking about things like stem cells or other blood derived cells that are also being worked on to regenerate the damaged spinal cord.

He then goes on to explain that, "By themselves, nanostructured scaffolds probably will not solve the problem of regenerating chronic and acute spinal cord injury" says Gelain. "However, they will become a necessary component of an effective multi-disciplinary therapy in the near future."

This 'multi-disciplinary therapy' comment is what most interests me. My concern is that, even though I really respect scientists and their work, no one seems to be coordinating this 'multi-disciplinary' effort. This is we have to get real people involved in a cure for spinal cord injury. Left only to scientists, they may miss things, or be so enthralled in their own work, that they forget that 'multi-disciplinary' efforts are best.

More government coordination of different approaches is what I feel is missing from the whole effort to cure spinal cord injury, and when I say government, you know that I mean our involvement, because we are the only ones that can make governments act.

If President Roosevelt could plan an atomic bomb in five years, and President Kennedy could lay down a challenge to put a man on the moon in ten years, then what we need now is a leader to demand that all these therapies are brought together to cure spinal cord injury now.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Good news are badly required for chronic SCI patients

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    This is for sure interesting.
    It was even on TV news several days ago here in Italy. I didn't post it here as I wanted to find out more first. I hope to be able to meet the Dr. Gelain soon.
    waiting for your post
    thanks

Wow. That's the most hopeful news I've heard in a long time.

Great and Hi Paolo - I thought you had control of you’re neighborhood! :-)