Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First evidence that chitosan could repair spinal damage

This isn't exactly true:

Richard Borgens and his colleagues from the Center for Paralysis Research at the Purdue School of Veterinary Medicine have a strong record of inventing therapies for treating nerve damage. From Ampyra, which improves walking in multiple sclerosis patients to a spinal cord simulator for spinal injury victims, Borgens has had a hand in developing therapies that directly impact patients and their quality of life.
    Borgens didn't develop Ampyra.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    This isn't exactly true:

Borgens didn't develop Ampyra.
    hmmm. Wher'd you get that information?
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/BME/A...forUniqueMulti
    Borgens, Shi and Collaborators Receive FDA Approval for Unique Multiple Sclerosis Drug

Professors Richard Borgens, Riyi Shi and Andrew Blight (former Purdue professor) received notification that their drug, Ampyra, has received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for improving motor function in patients with multiple sclerosis.

this sounds like the same stuff only in a form that allegedly crosses the blood/brain barrier
    http://www.herbspro.com/shop/product...tm_medium=Feed
    NanoTek Chitosan
    NanoTek Chitosan contains nano-particle chitosan oligosaccharide that can be better absorbed into the bloodstream, with significantly enhanced detoxification potential.

Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE View Post
    hmmm. Wher'd you get that information?
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/BME/A...forUniqueMulti
    The excerpt I quoted came from the original post. Several articles have been posted here regarding Ampyra which was developed by Accorda.

I know that Borgens is currently working on 4-AP-3-MeOH which is different from 4-aminopyridine, the drug patented and tested through Accorda, received FDA approval earlier this year and released commercially as Ampyra. Wise offers a summary here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...50&postcount=1

I don't believe Borgens was involved in testing 4-aminopyridine on human subjects but since he was one of the first researchers to see its potential, I suppose he is now being credited for the final product and Accorda's accomplishment.
    Last edited by antiquity; 04-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Crab shells help spinal injury?

Posted by Lauren Urban
    [Entry posted at 19th April 2010 03:48 PM GMT]
    Comment on this news story

Material from crushed up crab and shrimp shells can restore electrical function to damaged guinea pig spinal cords, suggesting it may one day serve as a treatment for spinal cord injuries, according to a study published April 16th in the Journal of Experimental Biology.

This paper is an "intriguing first step," said Scott Whittemore, professor of neurological surgery at the University of Louisville, who was not involved in this research. But there are many steps that need to be taken first, he cautioned. "There needs to be more research and data presented before this is applied in a clinical setting," he added.

Trauma to the spinal cord often results in the deterioration of cell membranes, which then results in cell and tissue death, often leading to paralysis. One way to help eliminate loss of body functions is to seal the deteriorating cell membranes, researchers suggest. Chitin -- the main component of crustacean exoskeletons and fungi cell walls, previously used to build scaffolding for tissue growth -- has recently been suggested to stimulate spinal cord regeneration in rats.

To see if chitosan, a form of chitin, could help seal cell membranes after spinal cord injury, neuroscientist Youngnam Cho of the Center for Paralysis Research at Purdue University and her colleagues examined the spinal cords of guinea pigs. After dissection, the researchers soaked a sample of the injured spinal cord fragments in chitosan, and then looked for leakage of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) -- an intracellular enzyme that is found in cerebrospinal fluid -- to see if the cell membrane was intact. Surprisingly, the researchers detected only low levels of LDH release from the chitosan-treated cells -- even lower than those treated with polyethylene glycol (PEG), a "well-known cell membrane sealant," Cho said -- suggesting that the cells had been fused and sealed.

Read more: http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57340/

Manouli,

Thanks for posting this. This is a much more responsible report of the findings in the paper.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Crab shells help spinal injury?

Posted by Lauren Urban
    [Entry posted at 19th April 2010 03:48 PM GMT]
    Comment on this news story

Material from crushed up crab and shrimp shells can restore electrical function to damaged guinea pig spinal cords, suggesting it may one day serve as a treatment for spinal cord injuries, according to a study published April 16th in the Journal of Experimental Biology.

This paper is an "intriguing first step," said Scott Whittemore, professor of neurological surgery at the University of Louisville, who was not involved in this research. But there are many steps that need to be taken first, he cautioned. "There needs to be more research and data presented before this is applied in a clinical setting," he added.

Trauma to the spinal cord often results in the deterioration of cell membranes, which then results in cell and tissue death, often leading to paralysis. One way to help eliminate loss of body functions is to seal the deteriorating cell membranes, researchers suggest. Chitin -- the main component of crustacean exoskeletons and fungi cell walls, previously used to build scaffolding for tissue growth -- has recently been suggested to stimulate spinal cord regeneration in rats.

To see if chitosan, a form of chitin, could help seal cell membranes after spinal cord injury, neuroscientist Youngnam Cho of the Center for Paralysis Research at Purdue University and her colleagues examined the spinal cords of guinea pigs. After dissection, the researchers soaked a sample of the injured spinal cord fragments in chitosan, and then looked for leakage of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) -- an intracellular enzyme that is found in cerebrospinal fluid -- to see if the cell membrane was intact. Surprisingly, the researchers detected only low levels of LDH release from the chitosan-treated cells -- even lower than those treated with polyethylene glycol (PEG), a "well-known cell membrane sealant," Cho said -- suggesting that the cells had been fused and sealed.

Read more: http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57340/

assume there is NO current info on chitosan?? if i am incorrect someone plrease advise. thanks poobear

since no response since last post i assume this is a LOST CAUSE POOBEAR

Quote Originally Posted by poobear View Post
    since no response since last post i assume this is a LOST CAUSE POOBEAR
    poobear,

I don't know what you mean. Chitosan is an interesting material but nobody is studying it, not because it is not interesting or a lost cause. I suspect that nobody has the money to study it. It is nearly impossible to get grants to study anything in spinal cord injury. Les than 10% of grants are being funded by NIH and all the states are cutting back on spinal cord injury funding. Most of the work that is being done comes are either funded by companies or in overseas countries.

Wise.

wise i only referred to LOST CAUSE in regard to the fact that no new posts were forthcomming re chitosan. i agree with you that the probable reason is lack of funds thus no news. it is a shame for it might well have been a savior. poobear