Thread: Best place for SCI

Best place for SCI

Hi I am looking for the best place to settle for a person living with a c-5 complete sci. I have been hurt for 10 years. I have grown tired of a small town Iowa and need a new start. So i am looking for the best place to have access to Private caregivers and accessibilty. I have money from my accident that i invested so that is not a problem. Any suggestions will be apprieciated. thanks.

A lot of places in California are good and have lots of disabled folks living there. I know around the college town of UC berkeley there are a lot of disabled services and the climate is nice. The accessability is also good, this is right near Oakland. This would not be as far for you to travel too as would be the east coast.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-15-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hawaii!
    I just took a vacation there and couldn't believe how accessible it was.
    I heard it was because a lot was rebuilt after Pearl Harbour and many vets moved there.
    Anywhere on the west coast though seems to be more aware.

I would probably nominate San Diego...very accessible, lots to do, lots of people with SCI...foundations for SCI, Sports for SCI, etc... The weather is great year round..

The downside...very expensive, very populated and lots of traffic...

Good Luck! Hope wherever you go it is a great move for you.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I like Cleveland. We have four seasons, which I love. We are perched on the shore of some 20% of the world's fresh water supply. We have a regional spinal cord injury center. A world class orchestra, several fine art museums, a park system encircling the place. Professional sports teams, assuming you're into pain and suffering (note Cavs may actually come through this year).

A lot depends on what your interests and goals are. Any place you select will have pluses and minuses. What's important to you? Maybe start with a list of what makes you happy. That might point you in a direction. Good luck.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I personally think Austin Texas is a great place to live for everyone. Austin is very accessible anywhere you go. We have a great accessible mass transit system. Wonderful rehabilitation hospitals and excellent medical care. We have very little freezing cold weather and almost never have snow.
    We have 2 great wheelchair fitness centers that are FREE. Loads of wheelchair sports.
    Austin has a very diverse community, a large wheelchair community and also deaf and blind communities. Austin is super friendly and accommodating.

I feel in love with Austin the moment I came here and could not imagine a better place to live. Our economy is thriving and jobs are plentiful.

If you have any questions about Austin let me know

Quote Originally Posted by jengirl View Post
    I personally think Austin Texas is a great place to live for everyone. Austin is very accessible anywhere you go. We have a great accessible mass transit system. Wonderful rehabilitation hospitals and excellent medical care. We have very little freezing cold weather and almost never have snow.
    We have 2 great wheelchair fitness centers that are FREE. Loads of wheelchair sports.
    Austin has a very diverse community, a large wheelchair community and also deaf and blind communities. Austin is super friendly and accommodating.

I feel in love with Austin the moment I came here and could not imagine a better place to live. Our economy is thriving and jobs are plentiful.

If you have any questions about Austin let me know
    I have a niece who is living there and loves it. Great music scene, university, etc. I'd druther be there than in SC. Maybe in my next life. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/