Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trench drain for roll in shower

Trench drains

I've seen those trench drains when I was searching for trench drains for my shower room. They appeared at web site Stormtech Pty Lmd:

http://www.stormtech.com.au/index.html

Yes, they are expensive and beautiful. I wonder where yours were shipped from? Paying $450 for a single, $900+ for two including shipping was over kill.

I looked at your web site and I could not find where this company is located or where the products are shipped from?

There is a Japanese company Toto that also makes a trench drain but I was unable to find a local dealer who could get that trench drain even though other Toto products are available here in the United States.

The NDS drains require a little more installation but they still need water proofing membrane under them. The grates I agree are ugly. I went to a machine fabrication shop to have stainless steel one made and it would have cost $400 for material, setup and labor. I can live with it and it serves the purpose. NDS also makes them in different colors too.

Be careful of the faucet you select saying they are "ADA' approved. I purchased a Kohler Stillness faucet and by the ADAAG guidelines there is interference with the mirror. I didn't learn that after the fact. It is still a cool faucet better than Moen products. (Moen is another post.)

A warning for those who have a roll in shower and use a shower chair. Check your shower chair monthly and make sure your bolts and nuts are tight because you put a lot of constant changing stress and strain on the bolts while you are on an incline in a wet environment. One day a bolt may break and you tumble to the floor like what happen to me. That is reason for a flat shower floor.

Post some photos when your room is completed. Let's see what the state of the art shower room looks like in 2010!

Ti

USA distributor

After posting last night I looked through the web site:

http://www.stormtech.com.au/index.html

and they have a USA distributor Infinity Drain, 270 Main Street, Port Washington, New York, (516) 944-7720.

Ti

The company I ordered from is originally out of Australia, but they now have a manufacturing site in Canada. My drain shipped from Canada. It arrived in 4 days. Also, I emailed them using the contact page on their site and received a reply very quickly. I emailed with the guy for a week or so before ordering, he was very helpful and very timely. He even provided me with his office and cell phone number. The level of availability was one of the selling points for me.

Yes, we were lucky I guess that our design only required one 40" drain. I don't think I could have justified it if we'd need two or a much longer one!

And which company did you order from?

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    The company I ordered from is originally out of Australia, but they now have a manufacturing site in Canada. My drain shipped from Canada. It arrived in 4 days. Also, I emailed them using the contact page on their site and received a reply very quickly. I emailed with the guy for a week or so before ordering, he was very helpful and very timely. He even provided me with his office and cell phone number. The level of availability was one of the selling points for me.

Yes, we were lucky I guess that our design only required one 40" drain. I don't think I could have justified it if we'd need two or a much longer one!

Sorry, I thought I posted it earlier - but it is myshowergrateshop.com (out of Canada). (They also have a website myshowergrateshop.au, this is the one in Australia.)

Hi Gigi -
    I am also looking into trench drains, primarily for asthetic reasons, but also as research for a future remodel to my mom's shower for safe entry. I have 2 questions:

1) the price you mentioned for a 40" drain was $350. When I looked at the website just now, they are listing a price of $469 for a 40" tile-insert drain. Even counting for the exchange rate (I assumed their price is in Canadian $), that seems too big a difference. Did you get a discount, or have prices gone up dramatically in the last 3 months?

2) It seems from your post that this might be your only drain... is that true? I am wondering, did you have any problems with plumbing codes with this drain as it has a 1.5" drain opening and codes call for 2" in a shower. Of course that wouldn't be a problem if you also have a center drain, but it sounded like you don't. Did you have any inspection issues?

On that note, was your local code dept. openly agreable to a curbless shower? (It wasn't clear from you post if you were looking at ADA compliancy issues).

Did you finish your project... any pics to post. Would love to see how it turned out.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
    jim

we are considering a trench drain as well now. as my shower area is only 4x8, do you still put a round drain in the shower, or just a trench by the opening?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    we are considering a trench drain as well now. as my shower area is only 4x8, do you still put a round drain in the shower, or just a trench by the opening?
    The shower we had done in the condo we just bought only has the trench drain. They are expensive if you are working on a slab or have a radiant heat layer under there... We did start with ripping out the entire old shower though. It looked rather nice to us but our general contractor's tiler is a perfectionist and found fine cracks in the groating. After the tile came out the guy installing the ceiling lift in another area saw what we got pics if...mold! It cost big to rip out a hand pieced designer shower but glad we did now. The metal under the tiled seat was also showing corrosion. The shower floor this time is a single piece of tumbled finish marble as well as the bench top. "Tumbled" for floors just slightly roughs the finish to avoid slipping. That one piece is mega bucks though. Counter tops to the 2 vanity areas are Silstone that will not stain if you accidently spill nail polish on it. Just clean the quartz based material with acetone.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    Sorry, I thought I posted it earlier - but it is myshowergrateshop.com (out of Canada). (They also have a website myshowergrateshop.au, this is the one in Australia.)
    I missd this response. Thanks for the link.

I think my comment to Emi2 above got out of line.

We wound up with the flat composite marble floor but a regular circular drain due to under space where the radient heat would have caused problems. We do have some leakage.

So, Herco, does the silicone come in clear also? I saw the Holmes too and his looked clear.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.