Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Fundraising Campaign - Bracelets for SCINetUSA

New Fundraising Campaign - Bracelets for SCINetUSA

I know double posting is generally frowned upon, but Jim made me do it! This same post can be found in the Cure section:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133706

New campaign, new thread.

The goal: To raise money for spinal cord injury research, specifically, the SCINetUSA program headed by Dr. Wise Young and its fundraising arm, the Just a Dollar Please site.

http://www.scinetusa.org/
    http://justadollarplease.org/

The plan: To create, produce, and distribute silicone gel bracelets that will be sold to raise research funds while also promoting awareness of spinal cord injury and the fact that the future of clinical trials and potential restorative therapies rests heavily on raising money.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, this a project that I’m willing to personally take on and help get going financially, in cooperation with Just a Dollar Please. I’ll take care of the production details and mailing duties, but before any of that can begin I’d really love some input on how the bracelets should look and what they should say. (The inside will have the JADP website address printed on it.)

As per the previous bracelet thread, this blue and white colour scheme was popular:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...Wristband.html

Also the idea of incorporating these little “before” & “after” stick figures as seen in the JADP logo:

http://justadollarplease.org/

Of course, nothing is written in stone (or plastic) at this point, and all ideas are welcome. The main question remains what motto/ catchphrase/ message would best promote our goals? If we go with the blue & white segmented style, it would have to be quite terse & a 2-parter, for example: FIGHTING/ FOR A CURE. Or if we go with a solid colour, maybe something like CLINICAL TRIALS NOW. Most bracelets only allow for about 20 characters. So it may be hard to include the words SPINAL CORD INJURY in full. I’m wondering if the little stick figures will make the cause obvious enough even in the absence of the specific wording?

Please feel free to toss ideas around. The sooner we come up with something, the sooner we can get going with this campaign. Thanks!

I think this is great and all, but on the upper left hand side of this very page is a link so you can donate to SCI research and Dr. Young. Does the justadollar thing pay for its overhead out of the donations? Wouldn't it be better to donate directly?

BTW: I like brevity. I have a bracelet for no kill animal shelters that just says "Speak". For us I would propose "Walk"

Given there was much controversy with a previous, almost identical product and bracelets in general are no longer a hot trend, is this the best product route to go to encourage donation?

Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I think this is great and all, but on the upper left hand side of this very page is a link so you can donate to SCI research and Dr. Young. Does the justadollar thing pay for its overhead out of the donations? Wouldn't it be better to donate directly?

BTW: I like brevity. I have a bracelet for no kill animal shelters that just says "Speak". For us I would propose "Walk"
    There's no overhead, the bracelet campaign is all voluntary. All proceeds equal direct donations. The bracelets are aimed at the non-internet environment, ie, the people who don't hang out here and who wouldn't otherwise be making a donation. A visible, real-world presence.

LMC, I think it's worth a new try. The first attempt was 5 years ago and ran into trouble, which I hope to avoid by having folks send their donations straight to JADP. I still see gel bracelets being worn. They're relatively inexpensive to produce and mail around. What product would you suggest?
    Last edited by Scaper1; 04-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.

I think the bracelets are still very popular and could be sold at upcoming events ie Work 2 Walk...with the design I think less is more. The stick figures on either side of a word or phrase is perfect.

We could also use the same design and create those popular oval bumper stickers...including the JADP web address of course.

Is the JADP site being updated? If so I think that will help our cause, the current site is very limited with its information.

My two cents...I am also willing to help with design, ordering, shipping, etc....

I don't want to steal Jim's thunder, but yes, the JADP website is being updated. Hopefully the bracelets will be ready to go at about the same time.

I was thinking that it would be good to create some sort of small handout to go with each bracelet, something like an index card with the pertinent points.

And thank you for the offer, it's great to know help is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    There's no overhead, the bracelet campaign is all voluntary.
    Even though it's a small & inexpensive product, don't underestimate this. If you have lots of free time on your hands, it's no big deal... but once you start seeing multiple orders come in per day, and you don't deal with those every day, things pile up and become a burden to stay on top of effectively. There was overhead with the last effort b/c the shipping & handling was eventually passed on to a third-party business.

The first attempt was 5 years ago and ran into trouble..
    ...which nobody really knows specifics about.

It was all management and poor communication. People wanted to see details of promised donations, which were difficult to furnish when the person who spearheaded the effort was a little too cavalier with and just mailed in checks w/o requests for receipts, etc. Furthermore, when more bracelets needed to be ordered, there had to be cash in the bank to do so. People didn't like the fact that every dollar was not immediately shuffled off to research orgs.

Dont worry about Jims thunder, Im friends with him on Facebook and I think he told me about the site.

The index card is a great idea to go along with the bracelets.

Do you know the oval stickers that typically are black and white and have three letters identifying a place or group?

IRL (Ireland)
    OBX (Outer Banks, NC)

I think an "SCI" sticker would defenitiey take off and create awareness. Should I talk to Jim about that? Maybe I could order them and get them on the new site, I wouldnt mind managing and mailing the orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Even though it's a small & inexpensive product, don't underestimate this. If you have lots of free time on your hands, it's no big deal... but once you start seeing multiple orders come in per day, and you don't deal with those every day, things pile up and become a burden to stay on top of effectively. There was overhead with the last effort b/c the shipping & handling was eventually passed on to a third-party business.

...which nobody really knows specifics about.

It was all management and poor communication. People wanted to see details of promised donations, which were difficult to furnish when the person who spearheaded the effort was a little too cavalier with and just mailed in checks w/o requests for receipts, etc. Furthermore, when more bracelets needed to be ordered, there had to be cash in the bank to do so. People didn't like the fact that every dollar was not immediately shuffled off to research orgs.
    I'm willing to make the time. It'll be a welcome distraction from the most boring dissertation there ever was. I used to have a little amazon business and have lots of experience with filling and shipping orders. I live 15 minutes from the US border and will likely ship by USPS. They have great tracking.

I hope to not handle the donations at all, with the funds going straight to JADP. People will be able to order bracelets at a nominal price, and it will be up to them to remit the proceeds of re-sale, again, straight to JADP. Or something like that. I'll keep careful track of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Dont worry about Jims thunder, Im friends with him on Facebook and I think he told me about the site.

The index card is a great idea to go along with the bracelets.

Do you know the oval stickers that typically are black and white and have three letters identifying a place or group?

IRL (Ireland)
    OBX (Outer Banks, NC)

I think an "SCI" sticker would defenitiey take off and create awareness. Should I talk to Jim about that? Maybe I could order them and get them on the new site, I wouldnt mind managing and mailing the orders.
    Heh, imagine all the people wondering where SCI is? (Hint: somewhere close to hell.)

I'm not sure those letters mean much to anyone but us.