Thread: In my daughters eyes...

In my daughters eyes...

The lyrics of this Martina McBride song really hit home today.

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
    I am strong and wise and I know no fear
    But the truth is plain to see
    She was sent to rescue me
    I see who I wanna be
    In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
    Darkness turns to light and the
    world is at peace
    This miracle God gave to me gives me
    strength when I am weak
    I find reason to believe
    In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
    around my finger
    Oh it puts a smile in my heart
    Everything becomes a little clearer
    I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
    has had enough
    It's giving more when you feel like giving up
    I've seen the light
    It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
    A reflection of who I am and what will be
    Though she'll grow and someday leave
    Maybe raise a family
    When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
    she made me
    For I'll be there
    In my daughter's eyes

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Emi, thanks for posting those lyrics. The first time I listened to that song, I bawled my eyes out--and I was driving on I-10 coming back from Houston!

My daughter and I have endured a terrible trauma together this year. She and I will never be the same. Because of the circumstances, it was tempting at times for me to let resentment, anger, bitterness breed and then direct their venom at her. This song put it all in perspective that day. It unlocked those pent up emotions and planted a little wisdom in my heart.

Thanks again.

Not to get off the subject, but my son has a 3 yr old daughter Julianna. Sometimes it's hard to get her to enter act with David. David says that it does not bother him, but it kills me to see her walk away from her dad, when he is asking for a kiss, hug and just her company. I know she is young. Has anyone having to deal with this. David and his wife are going thru a divorce and she stays with us on week-ends.

Pam Baureis

Originally posted by Pam B.:

David says that it does not bother him, but it kills me to see her walk away from her dad, when he is asking for a kiss, hug and just her company. I know she is young. Has anyone having to deal with this.
    Lots of laughs. PamB, our little (almost) 2 year old guy is very stingy with his kisses. It doesn't matter if it's me (AB) or his mom (in a chair), he'd rather turn his head or just laugh at either one of us. Not that it stops us from grabbing him by the head and planting a big sloppy one on him whenever we pick him up, but it's just not a priority for him.

Seriously, I'm making a very active effort to limit my domination of the child care for just this reason. It's so easy for me to do the daily child care stuff as compared to my wife. But, both she and the child really need to spend that time together. It's a lot of work for her, but as a mother, it's work she wants to do. And the little bug needs her to do it, as well as I.

So, he learns to be comfortable and treat her like a mother. It's gratifying to see him run over to her with a book, play peek-a-boo behind her chair, and all the other things that parents and children do together.

I forget what level of function you said Dan has, but he needs to participate in the child care to whatever capacity he is able. Of course, a 3 year old is at that age where anything different is going to put them off a bit, but I just wouldn't worry a whole lot. Lot of love, lot of involvement, everything's fine.