Thread: Too bad 'Cure Paralysis' wasn't a Law

Too bad 'Cure Paralysis' wasn't a Law

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...catid=2&hpt=T2

California must cure homosexuality? Lawmaker pushes to repeal relic law

SACRAMENTO, CA - A Southern California assemblywoman wants to repeal an obscure law that's been on the books for six decades and calls on mental health professionals to find a cure for homosexuality.

"It's absurd and it needs to go. Sixty years is long enough," said Long Beach Democratic Assemblywoman Bonnie Lowenthal.

Lowenthal has introduced a bill to repeal section 8050 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, which declares "the State Department of Mental Health shall plan and cause to be conducted scientific research into the causes and cures of sexual deviation, including the causes of homosexuality."

Many in the gay community are surprised such a law still exists and want it gone.

"It's truly offensive, a law from a bygone era that is utterly discriminatory," said Mario Guerrero of Equality California ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don't even want to waste my breath on this "law," but in regard to your thread title: fuck, yes. Leif's signature (courtesy Jurgen) has always struck me: "the freedom from paralysis is a human rights issue." Unfortunately, people who aren't trapped in their own bodies will probably never grasp this. IMHO, if funding sci research could be seen as more of a (legal, social, moral) imperative, and less as a gesture to charity, we'd get a lot further.

LMAO! Yes, I'm with both of you. Please cure my paralysis before my homosexuality. The former is much more disabling, and also more of a pain in the ass (pun intended).