Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empathizing with Kermit the Frog

Just saying, if you knew him or hung out IRL he is sweet as pie.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I can't friggin' believe that there are really people out there advocating they we deliberately portray ourselves as victims, and took you to task for choosing to be a survivor. A better example of a Pw/oC (Person without a Clue) never existed.

Count me in the camp who believe that both the pitiful victim and supercrip images of disability do us more harm than good because they further distance us from one another and from TABs, and that it's a fallacy that we must portray ourselves as one or the other in order to garner support for our causes.

My experiences with disability rights advocacy is that we were more successful in recruiting support and advancing understanding when we were able to portray ourselves as people who deserved the same opportunities as TABs to be able to work/go to school, take part in recreational activities, have relationships with love interests and friends, etc.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

It would be lying if I said I couldn't imagine people being so rough on you here, 55. CC is surely a melting pot of the rough & sweet at heart.

However, you've been nothing but helpful to me in so many ways, whether I've asked for it or not. Your posts & threads can & will do nothing but inspire & leave a legacy. I admire & love you for all you add to this community, you are CC @ it's finest.

I have no problem with people taking shots at me. I enjoy challenges. I used to enjoy sparing with attorneys trying to discredit me when I served as an expert witness. What hurts is when I see people telling newbees that they are in for a short life with nothing but pain and suffering and that I could not or should not have found happiness despite my sci. To be told that I am misleading newbees telling them of my "rare" experience does not sit well with me and flys in the face of facts.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have no problem with people taking shots at me. I enjoy challenges. I used to enjoy sparing with attorneys trying to discredit me when I served as an expert witness. What hurts is when I see people telling newbees that they are in for a short life with nothing but pain and suffering and that I could not or should not have found happiness despite my sci. To be told that I am misleading newbees telling them of my "rare" experience does not sit well with me and flys in the face of facts.
    What "newbies" need to hear are some positive things. God knows there is enough gloom, doom and dissapointment to go around.
    I am not being PollyAnna. Things really suck right now and my mood is not so great to be honest. It lifts me up that people like yourselves and others keep up the good fight and try to lift up others on the way.
    Everyone has a right to their opinion of course, but not to be mean spirited.

SCIfor55yrs, I know for me as a mother to a fairly new quad, your wisdom and words of advice have been helpful. I know there is plenty of negativity everywhere, Sarah sure has her own right now as I already shared with you. But knowing that what you want to accomplish, can still be accomplished, truly brings hope to others. The devastation of the injury itself can bring a person way down - You know that I am still struggling too - and that is just being her mom/caregiver. You give me peace knowing that Sarah will find her way and move forward. Every day is a new day.
    (BTW...just to share - Sarah starts working tomorrow. It will be from home to start but hopefully will turn in to going into the office a few times a week.)

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post

I get what you're saying. It is a shame, but the power of negativity will always prevail in this community. I guess it's free speech but it's uncalled for. I know my sci life isn't a bed of roses but it isn't a shit pot either, more newbies need to hear a positive life is possible. Life is what anyone makes it, too many just want to make it bitter & miserable I guess. We got fu*ked, get on with it & move on people.