Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: This pain HAS to stop NOW! :(

Becky, I can not feel your pain, but I watch my husband suffer daily-nights being the worst.
    His is the burning and freezing. This is a man who rarely even took aspirin and toughed out rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders.Now he wakes up at night wondering if it is time for Lyrica. I believe how terrible it must be.
    It was a big surprise to me (there have been many) that there really seemed to be so little to help this type of pain. When it gets out of control to the point of anxiety he takes an Ativan.
    Wishing you some good sleep.

Linda, I also take Ativan but its so I don't have panic attacks from everything . I am so sorry your husband has to deal with this pain too . Alan and Bill, I completely understand about wanting to just fall asleep one time and not have to wake up to the horror of what the day, hour, minute will bring.....

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Hi Becky.
    I'm 25 and I seem young, but when I tell people that I've had pain since I was 19 and there is no cause for the pain, it almost seems like a life-time and to me it feels like one. Other people have had pain longer, but I guess I'm just starting my journey.

I have pain that stems down from my right neck down to my shoulder-blades and is mainly on the right. It is worse on some days than others, and sometimes I cannot turn my head. I've tried everything I can think of and have seen a crazy amount of Doctors trying to cure me. Neurologist, Orthopedic Surgeon, a handfull of Chiropractors & Family doctors, Internal Medicine and the list goes on. I've had Botox, Cortizone, Locals, Shock, Heat/Cold therapy, physical therapy, muscle relaxers & again, on and on.

I think each person has different sensations of pain & I've felt everything with this from the numbness in my right arm in the elbow, fingertips, the sharp pains, the tingling sensation, heat, burning, tightness, pulling, and sometimes like I was being electricuted. My pain comes in waves and I'll admit sometimes I feel like I'm loseing my mind! I cannot explain in words how I feel and when I try -just like others, DR's look at me like I'm crazy. I think this is because most of them have never had this type of pain and cannot relate. They have schooling on the matter, but it's no the same!

All I can say is -if you ever find a cure or remedy for your pain, please let me know? I haven't found anything that worked really well for me other than some pain patches and that is just taking 15% of the pain away (better than none). Also, I find that trying to relax and not focus on the pain (as hard as it may seem) is the best thing! I learned some breathing techniques and some relaxing techniques that help when I feel besides myself. That's all I can do becasue nothing else works.

If I ever find lock with the pain, I'll be sure to write again.

Also: This is an example of people feeling different sensations of pain. If I can get to sleep I'm fine. Once I wake up and start my day, the pain is there. Sleeping is hit or miss for me. While sleeping, I'm fine. When I wake up it's a whole nother story. Depending on my sleep position, how long & other factors determins the pain I feel when I get up. Stiffness, sharp, numb, etc...

I am becoming completely overwhelmed .... I don't even know what to type. I tried laying down to sleep and it hurts even worse then sitting in this stupid chair . I wish I didn't care.......

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    SWH

Someone needs to make a Monty Python skit on a visit to a pain clinic.

In walks a guy with an arrow sticking out of both sides of his head.

In walks Cleese in a lab coat.

And so Mr. Withersbottom, I see you have an arrow there in your head. Had it long?

About two and a half feet long

Does it affect you in any way.

No effect whatsoever, except for the pain.

Reeeeaalllly! Extraordinary. Pain you say. Well, of course, pain is a very vague and ubiquitous term. Would you help me out by not using layman's terms, sir.

I don't really know any non-layman's terms for pain. It is most unpleasant. Oh, sorry, I guess that is layman also isn't it. I'm afraid I have no vocabulary at all.

Hardly surprising. Well, you're the tenth arrow through the head we've seen this year. Mind using our hyperprofessional, digital, MMPI approved, analogue scale for "arrows through the head?"

Not at all, although I'm quite sure I'm not up to it. I can't even turn on the computer. Perhaps my son could help. He's a compiler designer in C++ and Linux for BBS.

Well, unfortunately, he's not the one with the arrow through the head, is he. I don't see how he could be of any help. You're just going to have to try.

Very well then.

Are you ready for our hyperanalog binary related neohieroglyphic digital testing process.

I'll do my best for Queen and country.

Splendid. Now, listen very carefully. On a SCALE from 1-10 how much bother would you say that arrow through your head is.

Well, I don't know. One to ten you say. I can't really say. It hurts quite badly, that's all.

Tapping his pencil on the chart. "Come come now, Mr. Withersbottom. You KNOW how the national health service deals with uncooperative patients, don't you. You don't want to go to the Outer Hebrides Hospital now do you, perched on a rock overhanging the angry waves. Just tell me from one to ten, how badly it hurts.(looking impatient).

NO, please not the Outer Hebrides. Its.....Its....can you give me a little help?

Oh rubbish. Just because this care is free, you think you can toy with me like that man! Alright! Is it say, something like a knitting needle or as bad as a mortar shell through the head.

To be perfectly honest, I've never had a knitting needle through me head. So the mortar shell is a ten? Do you see those?

Of course you haven't had a needle through the head. That's not the point. Just answer the question. One to Ten (holding up all ten fingers to illustrate)

Ghastly! I suppose that would make me a three then.

Very good. A three for the arrow through the head. For that, we use Paracetamol (tylenol). Here' s your paper. See the clerk out front.

But what about the arrow through my head.

What about it.

It hurts.

Its a THREE man, a THREE. Get a hold of yourself. You're British!

Patient goes into agony, has a fit, and falls over dead.

Hmmm. He's dead, as sure as Prince Charles has an English accent. A very poor estimator of severity, I must say. Probably lost a great deal of money betting on soccer matches. I suppose I'll have to estimate the analogicity of his death for him. It looked like a six but I'll give him a seven for the benefit of the doubt. It's the least I can do for Mrs. Withersbottom, considering that she had to live with this digital Cretan all those years.
    And here I was thinking pain isn't funny!

How many times do you catch yourself going to your doctor feeling like crap, then telling them it's 3-4, the driving away thinking: I feel like shit--maybe it is 5? WTF?

Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    SWH

Someone needs to make a Monty Python skit on a visit to a pain clinic.

In walks a guy with an arrow sticking out of both sides of his head.

In walks Cleese in a lab coat.

And so Mr. Withersbottom, I see you have an arrow there in your head. Had it long?

About two and a half feet long

Does it affect you in any way.

No effect whatsoever, except for the pain.

Reeeeaalllly! Extraordinary. Pain you say. Well, of course, pain is a very vague and ubiquitous term. Would you help me out by not using layman's terms, sir.

I don't really know any non-layman's terms for pain. It is most unpleasant. Oh, sorry, I guess that is layman also isn't it. I'm afraid I have no vocabulary at all.

Hardly surprising. Well, you're the tenth arrow through the head we've seen this year. Mind using our hyperprofessional, digital, MMPI approved, analogue scale for "arrows through the head?"

Not at all, although I'm quite sure I'm not up to it. I can't even turn on the computer. Perhaps my son could help. He's a compiler designer in C++ and Linux for BBS.

Well, unfortunately, he's not the one with the arrow through the head, is he. I don't see how he could be of any help. You're just going to have to try.

Very well then.

Are you ready for our hyperanalog binary related neohieroglyphic digital testing process.

I'll do my best for Queen and country.

Splendid. Now, listen very carefully. On a SCALE from 1-10 how much bother would you say that arrow through your head is.

Well, I don't know. One to ten you say. I can't really say. It hurts quite badly, that's all.

Tapping his pencil on the chart. "Come come now, Mr. Withersbottom. You KNOW how the national health service deals with uncooperative patients, don't you. You don't want to go to the Outer Hebrides Hospital now do you, perched on a rock overhanging the angry waves. Just tell me from one to ten, how badly it hurts.(looking impatient).

NO, please not the Outer Hebrides. Its.....Its....can you give me a little help?

Oh rubbish. Just because this care is free, you think you can toy with me like that man! Alright! Is it say, something like a knitting needle or as bad as a mortar shell through the head.

To be perfectly honest, I've never had a knitting needle through me head. So the mortar shell is a ten? Do you see those?

Of course you haven't had a needle through the head. That's not the point. Just answer the question. One to Ten (holding up all ten fingers to illustrate)

Ghastly! I suppose that would make me a three then.

Very good. A three for the arrow through the head. For that, we use Paracetamol (tylenol). Here' s your paper. See the clerk out front.

But what about the arrow through my head.

What about it.

It hurts.

Its a THREE man, a THREE. Get a hold of yourself. You're British!

Patient goes into agony, has a fit, and falls over dead.

Hmmm. He's dead, as sure as Prince Charles has an English accent. A very poor estimator of severity, I must say. Probably lost a great deal of money betting on soccer matches. I suppose I'll have to estimate the analogicity of his death for him. It looked like a six but I'll give him a seven for the benefit of the doubt. It's the least I can do for Mrs. Withersbottom, considering that she had to live with this digital Cretan all those years.
    This is quite funny! I wish funny took away pain... then nobody would be in pain at all....

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Becky, please consider going to your local Emergency Department today for your uncontrolled pain. You need to get some help with this so you can get some rest, and waiting to call your doctor on Monday isn't a viable option.

You know as well as the rest of us that not sleeping accelerates the downward spiral (i.e. the pain keeps you awake, and the lack of sleep destroys your coping skills, which exacerbates the pain, making it even harder to get rest, repeat ad nauseum).

At the very least, the ED docs should be able to give you something that lets you sleep today/tonight, and at the very best they'll give you a boost of meds that actually helps bring your pain down a few much needed notches. Even if it doesn't really affect your pain, a good shot of IV pain meds would sedate you enough to sleep, and as exhausted as you are, sedation seems like a pretty darn good temporary option.

So if a visit to the ED for help with your pain doesn't violate your contract with your pain doc, I'm BEGGING YOU TO PLEASE GO THERE TODAY AND ASK FOR HELP.

On Monday, you can call your doctor and tell him that your pain remains so bad that you're not sleeping and reached a crisis point this weekend that sent you to the ED. Even though he has been SLOWLY bumping up your Fentanyl, you're still on pretty low doses of all three meds (Fentanyl, Tramadol, and gabapentin). Personally, I would ask if it's possible to be a little more aggressive with stepping up your doses, and take swh's earlier suggestion about requesting a strong sleep aid to help you rest when you need it.

Please go to the ED -- I'm really scared about what will happen to you if you don't get even temporary relief and sleep ASAP.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Please go to the ED -- I'm really scared about what will happen to you if you don't get even temporary relief and sleep ASAP.
    Hipcrip,
    Unfortunately, I am starting to think you are right . I am waiting to hear back from my friend. She gets off work in ten minutes and hopefully she will be able to take me to the ER. I just need to sleep for a bit. I'm not even thinking straight right now... I keep forgetting things etc...

Becky
    since 1/3/04

HipCrip is right. Everything is worse when you are tired-then multiply it with pain and everything seems hopeless.
    (((Becky)))

Becky,

Sorry. I got off target. I always do that when someone mentions 1-10. It is like struggling with central pain and being resubjected to my first grade teacher's midterms at the same time. I find it interesting that when they stopped analog TV they said they were switching to digital, whereas in the doctors office, they are able to call 1-10 the "digital analog" scale, without using any converter boxes. That miracle pain evaluator is both, at the same time. This would explain why it costs about four times what a convertor box costs.

I note that you posted at 1:35 A.M. and were having to wait for someone to get off work in ten minutes. That is is heartbreaker in and of itself.

Central Pain just gets so bad that you feel like you have been torn out of reality. At these times, I am suffering so much that I cannot bear to go to the ER and be told by a first year family practitioner resident that he had the same feeling when he had to vaccinate a young child earlier as listening to me. If he wants to do the talking, it had better be about what he intends to do for me, not how lucky I am not to be his uncle who died with REALLY SEVERE pain from cancer.

Also, I am the cretin for spelling the word incorrectly. I had been reading about Boeing copying Bert Rutan's design and my mind hung up on the "an" ending.

Yes, absolutely, the times you want to throw in the towel are nearly always at night and when you have had no sleep and cannot get any. I would explicity tell that to the ER doc and lead him in the right direction. You do in fact tend to feel a little better when the sun is shining and you have had a little rest.

I sincerely hope you can find a little relief.

Is there anyone there at your home who loves you? If not, we do.
    Last edited by dejerine; 04-11-2010 at 02:19 AM.