Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: This pain HAS to stop NOW! :(

Thanks HC, I don't know how much this test helps or if it just determines the amount of damage? They also told me I have carpal tunnel and were looking to see if a disease that runs thru my family (CMT - Charcot Marie Tooth) was present. Does'nt really matter if it is, it would be treated with the same meds as the peripheral neuropathy.

And does it really matter if the neuropathy is caused from a disease, damage, or diabetes? It pretty much hurts all the same from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Thanks HC, I don't know how much this test helps or if it just determines the amount of damage? They also told me I have carpal tunnel and were looking to see if a disease that runs thru my family (CMT - Charcot Marie Tooth) was present. Does'nt really matter if it is, it would be treated with the same meds as the peripheral neuropathy.

And does it really matter if the neuropathy is caused from a disease, damage, or diabetes? It pretty much hurts all the same from what I've read.
    I had an EMG to determine where the nerve signals were damaged/interrupted (something like that).
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Becky, have you ever had the nerve/muscle tests done? I swear, I can't remember what it's called, but they hook you up to some kind of machine and stick a needle in you to see what kind of reaction there is.

My pain Dr would have sent me for one, but said he had enough records to agree I have peripheral neuropathy disease. But I had one done before the last surgery when my surgeon was trying to figure out what was causing my legs to get worse.

Anyway, if I could remember the name of the test, you could ask him about it.

Anyone know the test I'm talking about?
    Yes I have had an EMG done after I was first injured. Do you think I would ask the pain doc to do another one or my rehab doc?

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I'm not sure an EMG would provide any really useful info for you, Becky. The test is done to A) determine the extent and cause of unexplained muscle weakness, and 2) determine if nerve conduction problems are originating at the CNS level or peripherally.

To answer your question, T, as to whether it matters whether the damage is central or peripheral, or from diseases, injury, etc., I'm with dejerine that it does. It may hurt the same (i.e. both central pain and diabetic neuropathy burn), but the mechanisms that will work to suppress the two types of pain can be very different (e.g. one for central pain may needs to cross the blood-brain barrier because the pain originates in the SC, while another for peripheral doesn’t because the source of the pain is in the feet or legs). Make sense?

But science doesn’t seem to be there yet, at least from what I’ve seen. While it might be interesting to know how much of your nerve pain is due to diabetic neuropathy and how much is central pain, I don't know how many different treatment modalities for one of the other exist. In most cases (gabapentin being an exception), doctors/researches seem to believe central nerve and peripheral nerve damage are all the same and can be treated with the same meds and doses.

dej? David? Arndog? Care to comment?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I'm not sure an EMG would provide any really useful info for you, Becky. The test is done to A) determine the extent and cause of unexplained muscle weakness, and 2) determine if nerve conduction problems are originating at the CNS level or peripherally.
    Yea, after thinking about it, it didn't make much sense to have to have another one done. It's not that I have weakness. I just have intense pain....

Only a little over 12 hours until I have my appointment. Unless of course its canceled again ..... Update to follow......

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Hopefully you will get to see the Dr. tomorrow, Becky! Feel better soon~

Teena

Got everything crossed that can be for you to get into the doc at 11 on the dot tomorrow morning. :-)

I'm looking forward to hearing that the doc has finally start getting more aggressive in treating your pain...let us know what happened as soon as you're able.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Ok.... so I am at a complete loss for words at the moment. I need to absorb the conversation that took place at this appointment and after I have done that will post the update........ (SIGH)....

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Oh, this does not sound encouraging...but a deep sigh is better than a row of purple sad faces, I hope...

Take your time, Becks...we're here to listen when you're able to update us.

~Julius Caesar

Hi all back from vacation. Had 3-4 good days pain 6 then it ratcheted back up and here we are again. will post some pics

I'm diabetic as well and my pain doc / physiatrist siad with conviction that my pain is not diabetic neuropathy, I can't recall why but i'll try to ask next time.

My new doc appt got screwed up but is back on for next monday hoping to learn something new still

hang in Becks
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM