Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: This pain HAS to stop NOW! :(

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    Consider meditation until you can get your hands on some marijuana

http://www.ehow.com/how_2031426_use-...tion-pain.html
    If Dave did not have such severe respitory issues I would seriously consider this option. His neuro pain has been worse the last few days and I feel so helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    If Dave did not have such severe respitory issues I would seriously consider this option. His neuro pain has been worse the last few days and I feel so helpless.
    Linda, I have severe respiratory problems, too. I've been told by many who are way more knowledgeable than me that the way to go to avoid breathing problems from smoking the marijuana (besides eating it) is to get a vaporizer. Word is the Volcano is the one to get, but at ~$500 (even on eBay) it's not something I'll be investing in any time soon -- at least not before I get out of my Medicare Rx donut hole. (Only one more month of paying full price to go before I hit the $4600 out of pocket limit for this year...)
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

So I have been thinking the last few days. I still have not gotten any measurable relief on a consistant basis from the increase in meds.

So I was thinking about asking my docs/pain doc if I could do a stent of inpt pain managment. Would this be stupid to do?? Last time this was done was after I had surgery in January and it really didn't help but it wasn't the focus or reason I was there either. Maybe if it is the reason I am there they will focus more on it? Does that make any sense??

Thoughts/suggestions?? Positive or negative.....

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I've never heard of anyone going into the hospital to get their oral pain meds adjusted. If it would help you get some rest and temporarily get some pain relief at the end of the semester, I'm all for it.

I don't think it's going to accomplish much more than that, though. My experience has been that I see less of my attending when I'm an inpatient -- it's all residents, all the time.

Still, if you think it will benefit you, you should definitely give it a try!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I say try anything you think might work.

I finally figured out why the neuropain was'nt as bad in the hospital, they had me on twice the pain medications. They were treating the pain from the back surgery. As soon as I was released, the pain meds were cut in half. I've been miserable ever since. And, I gotta tell them the truth, compared to the neuro pain, I have no back pain. I do, it just does'nt come close! (I do have to start paying attention to my posture, since the last surgery, it sucks)

I think I take the generic for robaxin. I've noticed the worse the neuro, the more spasms I get. I had'nt heard about using the flexeril for fibromyalgia, but they do love to play with medications meant for another problem, and who knows, maybe it will help.

Becky, don't waste time worrying about the finals. Just do the very best you can, and I know you will. I've got faith in you kid!

I am prescribed 2400 mg Neurontin for Fibromyalgia-all taken before bed. Have been taking it for years.I cut down to 1600 because I think it makes me feel stupid.
    It did nothing for Dave's pain. Lyrica seems to be the only thing that touches it-150mg 3X day.
    Did the doc consider the higher dose Becky? I am not a doc or guessing what he/she should do.

I don't know if it will help either, I am just trying to find something that will/might!! Maybe even just be comfortable giving me higher doses or something. Again I don't know just trying to find an answer.

Linda - Higher doses of which med?? Some of them were just increased.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    The Neurontin.
    The neurontin was increased to 2100 last Friday.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Becky, when I tried neurontin/gabapentin, my doctor put me on a schedule to slowly increase my dose until I reached a level where I got relief or 3600 mg/day, whichever came first. IIRC, it was an increase of 300 mg every three-four days. (Side effects I couldn't tolerate forced me to go off of it before I hit that max dose.) Most drug web sites recommend daily increases of 300 mg until the max dose is reached.

3600 mg/day seems to be a very common dose for people with central pain. But by keeping you at 1800 for so long, it seems that the pain doc you're seeing is basing your dose on some clinical studies that say there's no benefit from taking more than 1800 mg/day, which is the "recommended" dose listed on most Rx web sites.

However, there are studies that say some people with neuropathic pain may need up to 3600 mg/day. Of course (and I can't help but think of dejerine as I write this), the researchers doing that study used diabetics and people with peripheral nerve damage, not people with central pain, so who the hell knows what we really need?

My whole point in telling you all this is that there's no reason for your pan doc to keep you at that 2100 mg/day dose -- there's still plenty of room for your dose of neurontin to be increased to see if it will help your nerve pain.

~Julius Caesar