Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: This pain HAS to stop NOW! :(

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    Hi guys... So doc appointment, I actually was impressed that he agreed to increase the dosages on some of my meds. Of course I had to plead with him to do this. I felt like such an idiot. Here is what was increased....

Neurontin - 2100mg
    Flexeril - 25mg
    OxyContin - 20mg as needed

These doses are total daily doses not necessarily all at once. No increase in the Fentynal or the Ativan.

You would think this would be great news except for the fact that .... I still want to crawl out of my skin, set it on fire, and just go find a better body that actually works and has no pain. I know I need to give it some time!! Its just that I don't have the patience to give it time. This is my finals week and I still am not getting to sleep until after 4 in the morning . I am completely speechless and feel like I'm just turning in circles and getting dizzier .

Becky
    Becky, it especially sucks that the pain is so bad while you're going through finals. I've been feeling the school pressure too!!! Please know that I admire your determination and ability to hang in there with school. It's so important to get an education, but I know firsthand that it's not easy! You are in my thoughts. Best of luck with the finals!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Becky, I'm glad he did something, I hope he starts to listen to you. Good luck with your finals.

Todd, I did'nt think it was possible either. But, it's true, and the storms don't even need to be in my back yard, just headed my way. The bigger the storm system, the worse the pain and the longer it lasts. Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had in awhile. It finally started to rain last night and eased up a little. Today I'm back to "normal".

Good for you, Becky, both for making it to finals week and for getting the pain doc to respond to you. I hope you get better relief from this combo/level. And good luck with exams! I am so proud of you for hanging in there -- with as much pain as you're having, I don't know that I could remember my name, let alone a semester's worth of info from classes.

I have a couple of questions about your new meds/levels.

Are you taking Oxycontin or oxycodone? If it's codone, 20 mgs as needed makes sense. But if it's contin, 20 mgs as needed won't work as well and could be dangerous.

Why the flexril -- are you having problems with spasms? I seem to remember a post from KLD saying that flexeril, robaxin (which I was taking for over a year) and a few other muscle relaxers are specifically for injury-related spasms rather than nerve-damage related spasms, so it's curious to me as to why he'd start you on this med.

Glad to see you got some bump up for your gabapentin. Still no plans/permission to do a scheduled step-up to as much as 3600 mg/day if you're not getting relief at the current level?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

LTF, quite a few people here have said that their central pain gets worse with barometric pressure changes, so I'm not at all surprised SMM had trouble during the storms. I go through hell when tropical systems come near here and the pressure drops a lot very quickly.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

hi becky

im one of those that went to 3 beds and no help from Doctors who thinks i dont have pain.. i do take naps through my days even if its only 1 hr or 2 but the pain is most serious in bed. i wake up like in a car wreck every morning and i tell u i cant cry nomore but to get out of the bed and sit on the wheelchair for a few to the pain settles some and then i try to steal a nap again.. a cycle of pains and i have my moments! i hope you feel better and know you are not alone! GRRRR! but lets just keep hope alive for this break through with this stemcell... we need it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its mind bubbling cause i feel the same pain and im sure many more of us... my prayers are with us all..... what can we all do at once to help speed up some help??????? sitting in pain is not working!
    Sammy....
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Good for you, Becky, both for making it to finals week and for getting the pain doc to respond to you. I hope you get better relief from this combo/level. And good luck with exams! I am so proud of you for hanging in there -- with as much pain as you're having, I don't know that I could remember my name, let alone a semester's worth of info from classes.

I have a couple of questions about your new meds/levels.

Are you taking Oxycontin or oxycodone? If it's codone, 20 mgs as needed makes sense. But if it's contin, 20 mgs as needed won't work as well and could be dangerous.

Why the flexril -- are you having problems with spasms? I seem to remember a post from KLD saying that flexeril, robaxin (which I was taking for over a year) and a few other muscle relaxers are specifically for injury-related spasms rather than nerve-damage related spasms, so it's curious to me as to why he'd start you on this med.

Glad to see you got some bump up for your gabapentin. Still no plans/permission to do a scheduled step-up to as much as 3600 mg/day if you're not getting relief at the current level?
    HipCrip... sorry, I meant oxycodone. I had to check the bottle . I had previously been on oxycontin but he changed that this last visit to Oxycodone.

I asked him about the Flexeril too. He said he wanted to see if this helped at all. Yes I have bad spasms. Have had for a few years. What would work better??

Becky
    PS. I am not sure how much I will actually remember for finals but its the effort right??
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    I asked him about the Flexeril too. He said he wanted to see if this helped at all. Yes I have bad spasms. Have had for a few years. What would work better??
    Becky, Flexeril was the first anti-spasm med I tried and it worked OK. I'm on Zanaflex (as needed) now. In my experience the Zanaflex works better, but is much more sedating than the Flexeril.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

The main drugs that seem to be used for spasticity are baclofen (oral and intrathecal), Zanaflex/tizanidine, Valium, Dantrium, and THC. There's also Skelaxin, Robaxin, Soma and Flexeril, but KLD said that in general, they're not very good for CNS spasticity. This thread discusses some options and people's experiences.

I've been on Flexeril (pre-pump), Robaxin (post-pump), oral Baclofen (pre and post-pump), and Zanaflex (post-pump).

Flexeril did squat for my SCD spasms (legs, mostly at night) but worked well for back spasms. My understanding is that it's not meant to be taken long-term. Tthis Wiki article says that it's not been shown to provide benefit after two weeks of use, but also says it's being prescribed off-label for fibromyealgia (which may be why your pain doc is trying it).

Baclofen worked well for about 10 years before my spasms got so bad the max dose did nothing and I got my life-changing pump.

My choice, however, is Zanaflex. It does have a real kick (dizziness and drowsiness), especially when taken with a full meal (food makes 2 mg work as well as 4 mg taken with no food). But it also kicked my myoclonic arm spasms in the butt from the first dose.

~Julius Caesar

I had been on Baclofen orally right after my injury and really did nothing for my spasms and it really kicked me in the butt as far as side effects that just were not ok with me. So, I have not taken it for about four years. The idea of the pump sort of frightens me! I'm going to give that link a read after these finals are over... Thanks!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

try...

Consider meditation until you can get your hands on some marijuana

http://www.ehow.com/how_2031426_use-...tion-pain.html