Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm having twins :o!!!

Dam I just saw it there on screen. I'm sandwiched in between Erin and Kraj. It's going to be a good new year

Erin,
    You're right about the books...they're hard to find because there just aren't any or they're few of them. Maybe once your twins get old enough...you could write a book about being a mother of twins and a SCI with your experience, tips and tid bits of wisdom...oh and Congrats...I wish you the best. KP

~~~ Smile; believe it or not, there is still something to smile about!~~~~~~~Keri

Hello all- Long time no type . So much has happened in the almost year that I've been away from all of you. I was due on Sept. 8 of 04 but I didn't make it that far with the twins. I went into preterm labor on May 25 and they could not stop it. When our little boy Hagen came out he was very undercooked but he cried this little tiny cry and I knew everything was going to be okay with him. His sister Annora started to come with a prolapsed cord and they rushed me into the operating room to do an emergency C-section. I got to see her before she was transfered to the Children's hospital but that was the 1st of only two times I would see her. We knew she was going to be born with a congenital(not genetic)abdominal wall defect called gastroschisis (pronounced gastro-ski-sis)which would have to be repaired with surgery at full term after she was born. Her intestines were partially out of her body- but a totally repairable defect (normally) with few lasting problems. Because they were born 3 1/2 months premature she did not have a chance to survive because her kidneys were not functioning; she passed away on the 28th of May. I knew that she was going to have a hard time before she was born because she never moved much and her amniotic fluid was low. Our son was always active and you could see him kicking her in all the ultrasounds. We knew he was going to be a fighter from the get go. 2004 was a hard year because Hagen was in the hospital until his due date and had many peaks and valleys- Much like a roller coaster ride of good times and bad. He had 4 surgeries all together- One to repair a valve that usually closes in term babies called a PDA ligation; a surgery that went without problems. He was on the vent for over a month so I couldn't hold him- that was agonizing. He also has what's called Retinopathy of prematurity and had to have two laser surgeries and an invasive surgery called a vitrectomy to re-attach his retina in his left eye. He's over 7 months now but tomorrow is his 4 month birthday according to his adjusted age (how he develops). His eyesight is poor, but he can see (we won't really know how good his eyesight is until he can verbally tell us). He also has trouble focusing, which has caused him to miss some milestones. You wouldn't really ever be able to tell that he was 1 lb. 11.5 oz. when he was born. He's almost 16 lbs. now and so strong. I believe that he will catch up to his peers before you know it, and be a very strong person. Just like his Mom. Our family wouldn't know what to do without drama. I got pregnant again almost as soon as Hagen came home and that was crazy. I can't be on birth control because I had a DVT about4 months after I was injured. I was excited/terrified when we found out it was only one baby- and the pregnancy was going wonderfully compared to the twins. I misscarried out of nowhere about a month ago which was sad and emotional but also a relief in some ways.

I'll have to be completely honest- raising 1 child when you have SCI is extremely difficult and trying. It makes your really miss the way you used to be, and revel on the things you could do before you were injured. I just want to be able to hold my baby in one arm, and do things with the other. I want to be able to put him in the carseat and pick him up without struggling to do it every time. I have come to realize that I just can't do those things, and I've adapted accordingly. Would I do it again? Sometimes I wonder if I would have the strength to do it all again, but overall I think the answer would be yes. I know that in two years all of this won't matter and I'll be past it. It's not easy- but seeing the smile on my son's face when I wake up- and to feel him melt into me when I hold him on my shoulder is priceless. It makes it all worth it- and I have help from my family so it eases the the pain a little. I'm just ready to have an uneventful year and 2005. I want to enjoy it with my new family and learn to handle stresses of the journey with dignity and grace. I get angry and bitter sometimes-at my injury, at other people, at my family- but this experience makes life much more rich and meaningful- and reminds me to always look at the glass half full- because if I didn't then I'd be a very sad and miserable person. Just know that you can get pregnant, be married, raise a child, and keep your sanity, EVEN if you have SCI.

I hope that answered your question CHASB-Thanks for thinking about me .

A picture at birth and now- An amazing miracle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So small and unreal.

Hagen now

He is beautiful Erin, good job!

Gods speed,
    Susan

What a roller coaster ride is right!

He's beautiful though!

Wow Erin, what a sad, yet amazing insight into your last year. I am sure you are just enjoying your beautiful son and cherishing every moment. I am so sorry about your little baby girl.

I found it alot easier to have my children about 5 yrs apart.

Enjoy this time in your lifes.

Congrats on your milestones.... look like you are doing great.. God Bless....