Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm having twins :o!!!

Help, I'm having twins :o!!!

Right now is a very exciting time for me, but scary as all get out too. I'm getting married on Saturday to a wonderful, sweet man, and I'm so excited.

The thing that's the scariest though, is the fact that we are expecting twins in Sept. of this year. I was okay with one baby (a little freaked, but knew it was going to be okay), but now knowing that there are two little squirts in my uterus I'm climbing up the wall. I know that I'm not the first SCI woman to raise two little ones at once, but questions arise like how am I going to carry around two babies at once? How am I going to get them in my tiny car by myself? Where would my wheelchair go if I could get them in my Pontiac Vibe, anyways? I've gotten three books on raising and parenting multiples, but there aren't any books out there about raising twins with SCI from a wheelchair. Maybe some of you have some tips, or words of wisdom to share? Please tell me you have raised twins or know someone who has so that I can get in contact with them. I know that I can raise these children with some help and encouragement, so lay it on thick !

Thanks,

Erin O.

Congratulations!!!! I was wondering where you've been and what you've been doing!

I have one bit of advice for you. GET A MINIVAN. Seriously. I always said I would never in a million years drive a minivan. But then when my daughter came along, getting her in and out of the car, and getting my chair in and out was too much work. I got the minivan (the lowered floor kind with the ramp) and it has made my life SO much easier.

Hope you have a great wedding! Please post pictures!

Alive for 33 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 6 years

Erin-

OMG!!! Congratulations! mk99 is raising twins right now, let me see if I can enlist him...This is so exciting. Woohooo!

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Erin,

Sit back, inhale deeply, and trust yourself. It is great to see you here again! Somehow,knowing you, you will figure it out and do whatever you have to do.

Mary

OMG, I can't imagine! I was pretty freaked out when I got pregnant with ONE! I didn't end up doing much specially because I'm SCI but one idea I have for carrying two babies is to look into the Maya Wrap Sling, just search for it on the net. And theres a site called babycenter.com with a great bulitin board community, I think theres even a board for raising multiples.
    But congrtatulations! Violet was definitely the best surprise I ever got and the last 7 months have ben some of the happiest ever. She's made it ALL worthwhile and renews my belief in the future.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Erin, Congratulations! I've had three kids but not more than one at a time. Just like having one with SCI, you'll find through trial and error ways to get it done that work. Don't worry, you'll do fine. Mine are in their teens and let me tell you that is when the hard part starts!!! Good Luck!

Wow, Erin, What exciting news!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and your "bundles of joy to be".

I have no advice for you regarding bringing up twins with SCI, but I definitely hope you have help! I'm sure Mike will be able to offer some advice though.

Babies are so precious and will bring much joy to your lives.

Best wishes,
    Darlene

Congratulations Erin! I'm pregnant too but with just one! I remember a year or so ago (maybe longer?) there was a woman who was pregnant with twins. She was a para too but I don't remember her level. Her screen name was Chipper (NOT Clipper). I haven't seen her post in forever-she probably stopped after her twins were born! If her email is still good I'm sure she could help you and answer alot of your questions especially in terms of managing your pregnancy. Probably if you search "twins" her name will come up because she posted alot during her pregnancy. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It's been so long since I've posted on here, but I've missed you all. I'll have to run a search for Chipper and see if I can enlist her help.

Funny thing I've been thinking about the wedding: At least I can't get cold feet; I couldn't feel them anyways .

Erin, this is wonderful news! As you know my wife & I had twins in July. (1boy & 1girl) I guess it's too late to give you the advice I give everyone: I highly suggest having 1 at a time!

I am not going to kid you, it's tough. Really tough at first. Mine are now almost 8 months old and it's much better than the first few months but still not easy! The worst is when they are on different sleeping schedules and waking each other up.

In our situation I am in the chair. I think your situation will be more difficult... as involved as a Daddy can be, I ain't got no breasts! Besides, babies need their Mommy more at first.

Advice:

#1. HELP. You need lots of it. I highly recommend having at least 1 full-time help in addition to YOUR full time job and your partner's part-time contribution

#2. Contact any Multiple Birth Associations in your area. You can purchase a lot of items like toys & even clothing at "sales" and you will save a ton of money. You will also make friends and get advice & some mental support from others who have "been there done that".

#3. I agree with Shannon that a Minivan is the way to go. If you had your SCI due to an MVA, the insurance company should pay for most of the cost of a modified Minivan or Full size van. Go for it!

#4. Take a Multiples Pregnancy class. You will learn everything from reverse football holds (for feeding both at the same time), etc, etc.

That's all I can think of for now.

Feel free to ask me any questions at all... here or through email.

mkowalski99@hotmail.com

[This message was edited by mk99 on 02-19-04 at 09:05 PM.]