Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy wheelchair users the most poll

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    And the no-walking thing.
    Everything could be related to the wheelchair. Parking, work, UTIs, sex, travelling and so on. It's the wheelchairs fault.

The young lady with four children that parked in the only spot left (of course at wally world) in their big ragtop car, then proceeded to put up the HC plackard then walk in with no apparent disability. The lady was in shorts, no apparent prosthetic or viewable reason to use the HC spot, the children probably between 3-10 in ages all running and playing.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

It looks like parking is winning by a good margin. Mine is when people talk to whoever is with me instead of me. It's especially bad in doctor's offices.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Today everything associated with being a wheelchair user is annoying me. It has just been a bad day.

The parking thing is always annoying.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Ditto to what most have said, especially the parking. The one thing that can rival the parking issue is when someone leans on my chair and/or wants to use it as a coat rack and purse hanger. Just a bit of fyi: I nipped the coat rack and purse hanger issue years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Oh I appreciate help, it's the "forced" part that's the problem. Like when I'm saying "no thanks, no thanks, no, no, no, NO, NO" and they keep on going. I specifically remember a time when I was in the hot tub at a resort-type hotel and I'm getting out. I'm transferring back into the chair and this guy hops up, grabs me under the arms and starts lifting me up. I'm shouting NO but he's like "it's okay dude" and lugs me up anyway. He then struts back into the tub with this smug self-satisfied look on his face and I'm humiliated. Ruined my day. Hope I peed in the water.
    OMG! I'd hate that. That would have been funny to tell him that you pissed in the pool, which is why you got out.

In some way we can't blame the wheelchair either because without the wheelchair we would have been home in bed and depended of others so in some way it is not the wheelchair that is the problem but the SCI in our case. The wheelchair itself is a blessing when I think of the alternative.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Oh I appreciate help, it's the "forced" part that's the problem. Like when I'm saying "no thanks, no thanks, no, no, no, NO, NO" and they keep on going. I specifically remember a time when I was in the hot tub at a resort-type hotel and I'm getting out. I'm transferring back into the chair and this guy hops up, grabs me under the arms and starts lifting me up. I'm shouting NO but he's like "it's okay dude" and lugs me up anyway. He then struts back into the tub with this smug self-satisfied look on his face and I'm humiliated. Ruined my day. Hope I peed in the water.
    I get that too. A few weeks back I went to eat lunch with a friend, my friend walks me to my car but he leaves to get back to his meeting (he knows I can get in my car no problem) when this russian guy (he told me when I asked what his accent was) appears in front of me and insists on helping put my wc in my car. I tried to to tell him I got it but he insisted so I relented and let him break down my chair, he actually knew how to do it because he said he used to drive the handicapped accessible taxis. I just don't have it in me to tell someone to F-off so I just let them help me.

I definitely did the parking as my number one issue. Just today I was at a beach that has a ton of HP spots throughout the entire length of the very long beach. Could I find one that was empty? Nope. I saw a spry looking senior jump out of her car, take out a folding chair and sprint over the sand to get some sun. GRRRR..........
    The second thing that use to bug me most was people hanging on my chair, especially the ones who use to think the wheels made a great footstool for them. This was more common when I worked and was at conferences with bored people looking to lounge a bit by using my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    In some way we can't blame the wheelchair either because without the wheelchair we would have been home in bed and depended of others so in some way it is not the wheelchair that is the problem but the SCI in our case. The wheelchair itself is a blessing when I think of the alternative.
    Thank God for the wheelchair. It is truly a blessing. I have four.