Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy wheelchair users the most poll

Things that annoy wheelchair users the most poll

The Reeve organization is running a poll of the ten things done to wheelchair users that are the most annoying. It can be found here:

http://www.christopherreeve.org/c.dd...preadWord.aspx

Most of the examples were verbal ignorances or accidents. I suppose the using of places for the handicapped and not being so are the worst examples.

Having unsolicited help forced on me by strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    I'm always pleased by that; it's only if they don't respect my space that I can become irritated. I adore when people try to help me because it makes me feel like they're being hospitable, not disrespectful.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I'm always pleased by that; it's only if they don't respect my space that I can become irritated. I adore when people try to help me because it makes me feel like they're being hospitable, not disrespectful.
    I appreciate help where it doesn't involve touching me. But hate anyone touching me or my chair when I don't ask for it.
    Like, I'm always pleased when people open a heavy door for me. But I hate hate hate someone grabbing my wheelchair to push when I haven't asked. Or even worse, when someone sees me putting my coat on, and grabs it, thinking they are helping me.

The wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Oh I appreciate help, it's the "forced" part that's the problem. Like when I'm saying "no thanks, no thanks, no, no, no, NO, NO" and they keep on going. I specifically remember a time when I was in the hot tub at a resort-type hotel and I'm getting out. I'm transferring back into the chair and this guy hops up, grabs me under the arms and starts lifting me up. I'm shouting NO but he's like "it's okay dude" and lugs me up anyway. He then struts back into the tub with this smug self-satisfied look on his face and I'm humiliated. Ruined my day. Hope I peed in the water.

Oh I appreciate help, it's the "forced" part that's the problem. Like when I'm saying "no thanks, no thanks, no, no, no, NO, NO" and they keep on going. I specifically remember a time when I was in the hot tub at a resort-type hotel and I'm getting out. I'm transferring back into the chair and this guy hops up, grabs me under the arms and starts lifting me up. I'm shouting NO but he's like "it's okay dude" and lugs me up anyway. He then struts back into the tub with this smug self-satisfied look on his face and I'm humiliated. Ruined my day. Hope I peed in the water.
    Drunks and the naturally stupid sometimes don't take no for an answer.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    The wheelchair.
    And the no-walking thing.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I think the parking thing probably bugs me most.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem