Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: any interesting stories in your family's past?

any interesting stories in your family's past?

Tell us about them.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

What makes you ask? Tell us about YOURS

All I have is my parents. Both were passengers on the St. Louis (the "Voyage of the Damned" ship), and actually met on board for the first time. Mom was 14, with her parents (her mother was always seasick), and didn't know about boys (didn't learn on board, either.) Dad was 15, traveling alone (the rest of his family was already in the U.S.)

After Cuba, then the U.S turned the ship away, Mom and parents wound up in England for 11 months until their quota number came up and they could come here. Dad wound up in Holland until his number came up (he got out before Germany conquered Holland.) Everybody wound up in Baltimore, Mom and Dad eventually found each other again (she knew more about men by then) and, in 1959, they got married and soon made me.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

[This message was edited by alan on 01-30-04 at 07:47 PM.]

Thanks for your story, Alan.

Nice to hear it...

Teena

In 1917 my grandfather was 19 years old at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma, getting ready to go to France. There was an influenza epidemic at the time, and he had contracted it. My great grandmother, Martha , took the train down from Kansas to nurse her son back to health. (Moms could do that back then. She was there for 2 months, from what I hear.) When she arrived, a young soldier named Hayes, greeted Martha and directed her to the area he thought she could find her son. She gave him two silver dollars for his help. Hayes would remember that!

Fast forward to the Battle of the Argonne. My grandfather was a member of the Corp of Engineers. There was fierce fighting on the front, and their group got cut off and then surrounded. There was talk of having to sacrifice them to the enemy, but at the last minute, the decision was made to send the Intelligence Corps to save them. Hayes was a member of it.

About a year later, the two of them were back in Kansas and ended up at the same church picnic. The two of them were among a group of men talking about the war, when they made the connection. My grandfather reached his hand out to Hayes and said, "I was in that battle. Thanks again for saving my life."

That was the beginning of a friendship that lasted until my grandfather's death. It was also the day my grandfather met Hayes's sister, my grandmother.

At age 12, my mother contracted Rhumatic Fever (sp?) .. she told me later on that they called everything 'Rhumatic Fever' back then. She was paralyzed from the waist down for 6-8 weeks.

Ironically I became a paraplegic from Transverse Myelitis at the same age - 12.

At age 33, my mother again contracted Rhumatic Fever and was paralyzed again, this time from the neck down. She again recovered.

I am not looking forward to turning 33 (2 years from now).

When I was young, about 14, my step father use to drag me and my little brother to KKK rallys. I didnt really understand or care at that time what was all going on. He was a big wheel with the purple robe. I most played while the rally was going on but I remember most the crosses that were burned.

My Uncle(my moms brother) was paralyzed in a diving accident, he's a c-5. I was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident, I'm a c-6. Unfortunately, the motorcycle was a gift from her. My poor Mom!

Xavieria Hollander is my cousin..it gets weirder from there

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other

My great grandfather was a quadriplegic. He was injured in a fall at the c6 level. I only found this out about five years ago. I thought I was the first in my family to have an SCI. Guess not.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde