Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have some family conflicts regarding Baptising?

Anyone else have some family conflicts regarding Baptising?

Anyone else have some family "disagreements" regarding baptising their children?

quick background: I was born & raised Roman Catholic and want NOTHING to do with it whatsoever. My parents are not particularly religious themselves but I guess it's more of a cultural thing. (Eastern European background)

My children are now 9 months old and I thought this issue was finished. I refuse to baptise my children due to my own strong anti-religious beliefs... and my wife is a (not very devout) Budhist herself.

My parents are starting up again... this time they are focusing on the "They can't go to Catholic School" argument because they think Catholic Schools are probably a bit better than Public Schools.

I am not budging on this issue and they know it. So why start the shit up again?

My feeling's are that it should be the one getting baptized that make's that decision. It's their salvation, This is all I'm saying on this.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

i'm with you mk.
    was raised catholic, think its a load of crap. i dont see why catholic schools would be better either,

Mike, they are your children, period. Your parents should stay out of it and respect your decision (and ability) to rear your children as you see best.

However I know all too well the fear and guilt that the church can use to torment us ... and I'm sure your parents are tormented as well. They may say it's about education, but deep down, they're worried about the children's eternal souls. Again, if they truly believe in an all-powerful, loving God, they have to trust that he knew what he was doing when he gave those beautiful babies to you and your wife.

Can you just use the Buddhism as an excuse? I don't understand a God that puts children in limbo. I'm sure your parents love your kids and worry about their souls. If it were my problem, I'd probably get them baptized to keep the peace and cover the bases. Insurance never hurts...

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

my big fat greek wedding, is a interesting look on the subject too

Good advice from all. And thank you for keeping the tone civil here. As we all know, anything to do with religion is potentially quite controversial.

I fundamentally oppose much of the Catholic Church's views on just about everything. The following come to mind off the top of my head

1. IVF (without which I couldn't have 2 beautiful healthy kids)
    2. ESC (OK first I can't have kids, now I gotta stay in my chair?)
    3. Homosexuality is a sin.
    4. Birth Control. WTF?!?

How can I indoctrinate them in something that I oppose so strongly?

Mike, the answer to your question is: you can't! You are the parent. They are your children. Tell your parents to light an extra candle or say an extra Hail Mary. They've got to turn to their FAITH: their faith in God and their faith in their son to make the right decisions about his children.

They are your responsibility and at this stage of their lives it is your decision. However, I would caution you to try not to indoctrinate them in any way as they grow older. Let them explore and make up their own minds without YOUR interference. If you don't like what your parents are doing, then end up emulating them.

Right now your kids have no choice. Later on they will. Allow them to have it of their own free will.

Tom

i'm with you mk,
    catholic church makes no sence, at least to me, and than throw in all the priest that use the power of their position to molest and rape all those little boys..and the church covered it up for many years...