Thread: whats going on?

whats going on?

I have a t11-l1 complete SCI and i need to cath every six hours. In the hospital they had me sit and try to force myself to go but i was unable to. However, Yesterday i went and just went to the bathroom without cathing, all i needed to do was push and urine would come out. It happened again today, what does this mean?

Thank you

Sounds like you're regaining bladder function. Talk to your doc about it.

Quote Originally Posted by astrong View Post
    I have a t11-l1 complete SCI and i need to cath every six hours. In the hospital they had me sit and try to force myself to go but i was unable to. However, Yesterday i went and just went to the bathroom without cathing, all i needed to do was push and urine would come out. It happened again today, what does this mean?

Thank you
    Forcing urine out by pushing can cause reflux and high bladder pressures. I dont think you should do this but hopefully SCI Nurse will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by astrong View Post

Thank you
    Do you mean you can normally urinate and hold your urine? This would be most unusual with an ASIA A injury at your level. After you urinated, what was the amount of residual urine you had in your bladder when you then cathed yourself?

Where were you in the hospital? This is an outmoded and antiquated approach to bladder management. If you are doing intermittent cath, you should be cathing every 4 hours during the day, and may be able to safely go 6 hours at night, but should never be holding more than 425 cc. of urine in your bladder. You should be drinking about 2.5 quarts of water daily and producing about 1800-2000 cc. of urine daily.

When you say "push" do you mean straining (pushing with your abdominal muscles and doing a Valsalva maneuver) or with your hand (Crede)? Both are potential causes of high pressures and reflux of urine.

Your bladder changes a lot the first year post injury. You may be finally coming out of spinal shock and seeing the development of high bladder tone and spasm. You need to see a good neurologic urologist and have an evaluation that includes urodynamics. Meanwhile increase your cathing frequency with goals for urine amounts such as above. If you start leaking between caths, you probably need to also start on anticholenergic medications to keep you dry.

Are you cathing in your wheelchair and bed? Most women can learn to do this so you don't have to do transfers to a toilet to cath yourself.

(KLD)