Thread: New

New

Hi, my name is Ally and im 17 years old. On Feb. 6 , I went out sledding with some of my best friends. Little did I know I would end up unable to move my legs. When I was sledding i must of fell off and tumbled. I was rushed to the hospital and had surgery within 4 hours. I am unable to remember the 3 days i spent in the trauma center. I was sent to a rehab center on Feb 9, and stayed there until March 26. I am a t11-l1 complete. I have made great progess so far, i have a custome made pair of braces that i use and i am getting outpatient rehab three days a week. I would love information on my injury since this was a complete suprise in my life. I was a highschool soccer player and had so much going for me. And i feel like alot of it has been taken away so fast. I often question and tell myself i will be able to walk again someday, just to make myself feel stronger. I would appreciate any responds on the chances of me walking again and some strong words of encouragment

Hi Ally, This is a great place for info. My husband is C3 and I found more practical advice here in a couple months than most of a year.
    Sounds like you are doing well.

Hi Ally,
    Welcome to CC, I am a T11-12 injury. Where did/are you doing your rehab?

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

i did my inpatient at Goodshepherd, and i am doing my outpatient there for now

Which Good Shepherd? There are a number.

Welcome to our forums. Please ask specific questions or concerns you have, and we will try to help. A complete profile does help us to know more about you.

(KLD)

Welcome Ally! CC is a great place to get information, support, and truly honest answers. (My daughter is now 20 and is a C6/C7 incomplete.)

Hey Ally,

Welcome to this site - everyone here has pretty much gone thru/going thru what you are experiencing - ask as many questions as you need to. Listen to the physio`s and work hard in the gym - I have found that REPETITIVE movement has worked the best for me i.e long hours on the cycling machine (as often as you can) - I`m a L1 incomplete. NEVER give up - VISUALISE yourself RUNNING and WALKING - and as tough as it may get - NEVER LOOSE YOUR FAITH IN GOD! Stay frosty Young lady

ally, how is it that u don't remember the 3 days or how u got injured? did u hit ur head? that would be a separate issue from the T-11 break. and rehab 3 days after surgery? that is amazing.

Ally,
    My son was in a sledding accident three years ago. He's an L1.
    Keep up the exercise and PT program.
    Are you using KAFOs? What kind of return have you had so far?
    Best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt