Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New & inaccessible Citibank ATM machines

New & inaccessible Citibank ATM machines

I was so damn livid today. For years, I've been a Citibank customer and have had limited problems with my minimal hand/finger function using their ATM machines. It had enough space around the slot for me to insert my ATM card in and out fast enough so that it would work.

I went to the bank this afternoon to get some cash and noticed they have these brand new ATM machines installed. My heart started to race because in my experience, ANYTHING NEW IS USUALLY NOT GOOD NEWS! Sure enough, the new machines have even less space near the slot for me to be able to successfully stick my card in and out without it getting stuck. As a result, my card kept getting stuck and by the time I was able to remove it, the stupid "please insert your ATM card again" message would flash across the screen.

After a few tries, I gave up, went inside the bank and asked for the manager and proceeded to complain to her and she had this "WTF do you expect me to do" look on her face.

Has anyone else had this type of problem before and were you able to do something about it? Yes, I know I can go to the bank tellers and get cash from them but I shouldn't have to do that and be able to only get cash during bank hours.

Very, very pissed off right now. So much so that I would kill the idiotic designer of these new machines. I imagine it's not just disabled folks with this problem but people with arthritis and old folks might also have the same experience.

I totally know what you mean. RBC (my bank in Canada) have these new machines that totally suck. If I even jostle my card too much the ATM cancels my transaction, even if I successfully remove it! And then, if I can't remove it in time, it eats my card AND cancels my transaction. Last time that happened it was Dec 24th!

Can you contact their Public Relations Department through their website? They can't fix it if they don't know the problem way up the chain. You might be able to spare one old machine per so many miles or 1 per bank. If you can't get that a reasonable accomadation would be to use another bank's ATMs and not be charged by Citibank..
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

This is why I prefer the ATMs where you just swipe the card through the vertical-swiper-slot thingy. The ones where you just stick your card in and it sucks it in until you're done with your transaction are okay, but the kind where you have to insert then remove right away are impossible for me to use because my quad fingers and tenodesis aren't enough to pull it back out.

Bleh.

I've had same problem when trying to get my card out. If I can't grip it right way and get it out quickly it gets eaten.

I prefer to take late lunch every so often and just go to teller and always get enough cash out to last. Never run out of cash. I occasional skip the bank trip and just get cash back when buying groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    This is why I prefer the ATMs where you just swipe the card through the vertical-swiper-slot thingy. The ones where you just stick your card in and it sucks it in until you're done with your transaction are okay, but the kind where you have to insert then remove right away are impossible for me to use because my quad fingers and tenodesis aren't enough to pull it back out.

Bleh.

The kind where you have to insert then remove right away are a pain for fingers that work too ...... you have to be just fast enough, but not too fast.

But, I am glad to know the technical term for the ones I prefer as well, is a vertical-swiper-slot thingy.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    The kind where you have to insert then remove right away are a pain for fingers that work too ...... you have to be just fast enough, but not too fast.

But, I am glad to know the technical term for the ones I prefer as well, is a vertical-swiper-slot thingy.
    I hate the hotel key vertical insert swiper thingies too. You'd think they could maybe punch holes and add a wrist cord for yanking them back out fast enough. Or dropping them after you do get them out.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

try scotch taping a loop of string on the end of the card to help easily pull it out.

Thankful for working fingers and all. But on a different similar complaint my grocery store just got all new payment thingys with the vertical swipe slot thingy and they mounted them all above my head.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Who manuf the atm. If diebold contact them, not the bank. They dont build them
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer