Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dad going to ER, long post...

Dad going to ER, long post...

Ok let me start from the begining. Feb of 09 my dad was sitting on the edge of the bed and keeled over. Luckily a retired nurse was next door, did CPR and brought him back. They gave him a triple bypass and placed a pacemaker. This was in AZ. When he got back to Michigan his regular heart dr told him that AZ messed up an should never have done the surgery.

The dr. in Michigan said his neck artery was clogged and needed to be cleaned out. He had that surgery. After the surgery he just never felt good, and developed congestive heart failure. He ended up in ICU where again his heart just stopped. They got him back. The dr. have said that they never have seen someone where the heart just stops, and then with CPR he comes back , fully, he opens his eyes and is like what the hell are you doing to me. So he had a pacemaker and defib placed.

While still recovering from this he started having a problem in his foot. The dr. said it was just athletes foot. Well, I wasnt there so I had to go on what they said. Anyway, it continued to get worse no matter what they put on it. His toes turned black along with the heel. Finally, they did an ultra sound on his leg and found that the artery going down was blocked. They did surgery on it and restored the blood flow, it was touch and go for a bit to see if he would lose his foot. This was in Sept. He has been healing very slowly and is still not able to put all his pressure on this foot.

He has not felt 100% in a long time and is very depressed. Last night he started retaining water, gained 4# over night. The dr. in michigan said he has a leaky valve that needs to be fixed, but held off on it because he felt that if he had done the surgery at that time my dad would not have made it, or ended up spending his life in a nursing home. I am guessing that this valve is now giving out because of the retaining fluid that is going on.

My mom just let me know that they are headed to the ER. Please keep him in your prayers.

It is very hard being so far away while all this is happening.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Please update when you know what is going on.
    Daniel

So apparently he is refusing to go into the ER now. Says he wants to wait and see if he can get into the Dr office tomarrow. why are men so damn stubborn?!!

Sorry to hear. I never realized how hard it is dealing with these kinds of issues with parents, it is really depressing. I went through the loss of my father a little over a year ago and it is really tough dealing with. I can imagine its just as tough when a parent has an ongoing major medical problem. Its a shame. Sounds like your Dad can't be too old, not much older than 60 I would think? I'm thankful that my Dad lived to be 77. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of your Dads troubles and you will have many more years left with him.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

can you reason with him? Maybe he will listen to you.

I will keep him in my prayers and all of your family also...

Maybe if someone tells him that he could already be getting some relief if he went on to the ER now? just a thought...

Thank you everyone. He is in his 60's. Extremely old school stubborn. I know he is hesitant because of the problems last time in AZ. He just doesnt realize that he is making the problem worse by not going in. My mom is beside herself because she is the one that has to deal with everything when shit hits the fan. He doesnt think of anyone but himself. My mom does everything for him and I know it puts so much on her when he wont get treated. I have tried talking to him about it he wont listen and just passes the phone to my mom.

Do you have or know of anyone who has a blood pressure cuff? Might be a good idea at the very least to get a reading on his BP and see where thats at. Also take his temp and pulse rate.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good thinking Curt!

Anything below like around 140/80 is not much cause for concern, if its up say like 180/120 or something like that, get him to the ER.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred