Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    damn that robot has some skills son!
    Yeah, those robots may be fast and accurate and willing to work long hours at peak performance... but everybody knows they pilfer stuff and don't show up for work on a lot of Mondays and Fridays.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

do you think that it is "seeing" what it's picking up or is it just moving to preprogramed locations? the first video looks like it's able to pick up randomly without the items being positioned precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    do you think that it is "seeing" what it's picking up or is it just moving to preprogramed locations? the first video looks like it's able to pick up randomly without the items being positioned precisely.
    I'd say it's both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Certainly appeared to me as if it must be scanning the objects in its 'field of view'. It seemed able to pick up objects no matter how they were placed on the conveyor. Impressive stuff.

The thought that occurred to me after seeing these videos is that such robots will change disability. Many disabled people are limited in manual tasks that they can do in the kitchen and the house. However, in a few years, these kinds of robots will become widely available to do all sorts of things (imagine a kitchenbot that is able to cook and serve all the things in Julia Child's recipes) in the house.

For example, it is not difficult to imagine a near future like this: when you leave in the morning for work, you mention to Child, your kitchenbot, that you would like some Boeuf * la Bourguignone for two at 7 pm along with a bottle of St. Emilion '98... Child the kitchenbot orders the groceries over internet and receives the delivery robot to robot. You come home to a wonderful candlelit dinner for you and your loved one. The dinner is served, cleared, and dishes are washed at 300 cycles per second.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The thought that occurred to me after seeing these videos is that such robots will change disability. Many disabled people are limited in manual tasks that they can do in the kitchen and the house. However, in a few years, these kinds of robots will become widely available to do all sorts of things (imagine a kitchenbot that is able to cook and serve all the things in Julia Child's recipes) in the house.

For example, it is not difficult to imagine a near future like this: when you leave in the morning for work, you mention to Child, your kitchenbot, that you would like some Boeuf * la Bourguignone for two at 7 pm along with a bottle of St. Emilion '98... Child the kitchenbot orders the groceries over internet and receives the delivery robot to robot. You come home to a wonderful candlelit dinner for you and your loved one. The dinner is served, cleared, and dishes are washed at 300 cycles per second.

Wise.
    That's a big leap for these particular assembly line workers that are programmed to do a very limited set of repetitive tasks. Many people have trouble setting their alarm clocks. Yet, necessity is indeed the mother of invention, so people with disabilities are likely early adopters for the technological marvels your post envisions.

The more AI brings this high degree of flexibility and "human" feel to our machines, the more likely they are to assume "individuality" and "personality." Imagine paying a small fortune for a personal assistant, only to find that they get on your last nerve? "Clippy" to the nth power?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Dishes?

Hey Doc,

I wonder if the thing can clean out the silverware tray at 300 cycles per minute?

Attachment 34614

I can almost hear the "good china" smashing right now.

Robots are the only friends I need.