Thread: Automotive Smoked Tail Lights

Banned

Automotive Smoked Tail Lights

Do any of you guys know if putting the darker lenses on car lights is illegal.. My younger brother is being a bit stupid right now.. and I'm trying to talk him out of doing this.. I only see it as being illegal because less light comes out of the light itself.

This thread will be proof to him Please help
    "God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things, right now i am so far behind i will never die"

Don't know if this is a legit trooper answering the question. Some states it seems to be legal, as long as you can see the light for 500 feet or so.

Tinting taillights is illegal in Minnesota

Q: Is tinting your taillights illegal in Minnesota if you let a little bit of red show through? I have a 2006 G6 and want to tint my taillights...so the question is if I left the third brake light red and I tinted my taillights enough for a little bit of red to show, would that be OK?

Carlos,
    Willmar, MN

Carlos,
    No. That would be against the law. Thanks for asking.
    Sgt. Curt S. Mowers
    Public Information Office
    MN State Patrol
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Banned
    ugh I was hoping for a better turn out than that haha

I'm trying to make sense of the laws written portion write up here..
    Smoked tail lights

He is in the process right now.. I'm a bit worried for him..

I read on that site that if someone rear ends you, they could bring you to court and they may win because "they couldnt see your tail lights" ... scary huh.. makes sense though.
    "God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things, right now i am so far behind i will never die"

Quote Originally Posted by cwebbatya View Post
    Do any of you guys know if putting the darker lenses on car lights is illegal..
    Depends on the state. Google "tinted tail lights" and include whatever your state is.

C.

My son did this to the tailights on his car and although they look quite dark the light still shows through very well. He used a product from VHT (I thinks its called "Nightshade") designed for tinting lenses. He has gone through some spot checks and received a couple of speeding tickets since doing this and the police have never mentioned anything about his tinted tail lights. As for wether or not its illegal, here in Canada it's against the law to alter any light lense on any vehicle from the factory original.
    In God we trust, all others must prove themselves.

Anyone who alters any saftey device to be cool deserves what they get. How stupid can a person be. Especially knowing anyone with a SCI and the devastating consequences of just one mistake. Being cool does not nec. mean being stupid like altering tail lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Especially knowing anyone with a SCI and the devastating consequences of just one mistake. Being cool does not nec. mean being stupid like altering tail lights.
    Seriously, dude? Too funny.

C.